Fire displaces two families
LYONS FALLS — Two families have been displaced after a house fire in Lewis County Wednesday afternoon.
Fire officials said the upstairs tenants at 4121 Center St. noticed a smoking light fixture at about 5 p.m. All residents were evacuated and the alarm was raised. By the time fire crews arrived, authorities said the second-floor and attic were fully involved.
Volunteers from four departments battled the fire. Officials said both apartments were destroyed. The property is insured.
Officials said the cause of the fire remains under investigations. Both families are being assisted by the American Red Cross.
The Lyons Falls, Port Leyden, Constableville and Turin departments responded.
- 4:11pm 05/19/18Cats killed, house destroyed in Sunset Lane fire
- 4:10pm 05/19/18Dozens of students recognized in cursive writing contest
- 4:00pm 05/19/1852-year-old Verona man charged after stand-off
- 4:00pm 05/19/18Public Safety Logs — May 19, 2018
- 4:00pm 05/19/18Tours of historic Old Main building to be held June 8, state announces
- 4:00pm 05/19/18MVCAA to receive nearly $10M from feds for Head Start and Early Head Start programs
- 4:00pm 05/19/18Madison Co. offers list of trash haulers
- 4:00pm 05/19/18Meetings — Monday, May 21, 2018
- 4:00pm 05/19/18Liam, Olivia top baby names in New York for 2017
- 4:00pm 05/19/18Health official: Influenza no longer prevalent in New York