Fire displaces two families
LYONS FALLS — Two families have been displaced after a house fire in Lewis County Wednesday afternoon.
Fire officials said the upstairs tenants at 4121 Center St. noticed a smoking light fixture at about 5 p.m. All residents were evacuated and the alarm was raised. By the time fire crews arrived, authorities said the second-floor and attic were fully involved.
Volunteers from four departments battled the fire. Officials said both apartments were destroyed. The property is insured.
Officials said the cause of the fire remains under investigations. Both families are being assisted by the American Red Cross.
The Lyons Falls, Port Leyden, Constableville and Turin departments responded.
- 4:21pm 01/20/18Festival fills Friday night with music
- 4:00pm 01/20/18Oneida celebrates National School Choice Week
- 4:00pm 01/20/18Enthusiastic response for robots demonstration at BOE meeting
- 4:00pm 01/20/18MWPAI adds trustees to board
- 4:00pm 01/20/18Bartell Machinery Systems receives pair of awards
- 4:00pm 01/20/18Lawrence named to GLDC board
- 4:00pm 01/20/18BOCES offers continuing education classes
- 4:00pm 01/20/18No cause yet in fatal fire
- 4:00pm 01/20/18Board approves Oneida lacrosse request, retirement extension
- 4:00pm 01/20/18Land trust group voices concerns over proposed wind energy facility