Fire destroys abandoned Rome Cable building
Firefighters battle terrain, call in water tanker to extinguish flames
An old, abandoned Rome Cable building in the woods off South Jay Street went up in flames Tuesday afternoon, according to Rome Fire Department officials.
The building is a total loss; and fire officials said they had a difficult time reaching the old building.
“It’s overgrown brush,” said Deputy Fire Chief Thomas Palinski. “We kind of had to cut our way in because of the trees.”
A resident in the 400 block of S. Jay St. is believed to have called 9-1-1 at about 6:40 p.m. Tuesday after spotting a thick column of smoke rising up from the woods, officials said.
Fire crews responded quickly and found the burning building about half-a-mile back into the overgrowth, officials said.
“It was way back in there,” Palinski stated. There were several old Rome Cable buildings in the woods, but only one was
burning, the deputy chief said.
The chief said the firefighters trained two hose lines on the building and knocked down the flames in about 20 minutes.
The fire spread to some of the overgrown brush around the building, and that was doused as well.
A larger brush fire “was the major concern,” Palinski said, but firefighters knocked it down before the flames could spread further.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation, the chief stated.
No one was injured. The Lee Center Volunteer Fire Department assisted in getting water back to the scene of the fire with a tanker truck.
- 4:10pm 04/21/18Business owners, developers show support for downtown hospital
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Rome Twigs installs officers, honors members
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Rome Clean and Green to host second annual Good Clean Fun Mud Run
- 4:00pm 04/21/18LMV to hold 28th annual graduation ceremony
- 4:00pm 04/21/18MVCC to host Information Session
- 4:00pm 04/21/18VVS garage sale slated for April 28
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Six represent Oneida County at 4-H Horse Bowl
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Herkimer man accused of sexual abuse
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Movies — April 21, 2018
- 4:00pm 04/21/18Schenectady man charged with DWI in ATV crash