Driver ticketed in accident
VERONA — A pickup that attempted to cross Route 31 at the Sarenski and Beacon Light roads intersection caused a two-vehicle crash Monday afternoon.
Deputy Matthew Bauer said David Smith, 81, of Verona, was driving a red Chevrolet 1500 pickup on Sarenski Road, and attempted to cross Route 31 to Beacon Light Road, when he failed to yield the right of way after stopping at the stop sign.
Smith’s truck crossed in front of a white 2013 Subaru sedan driven by Sandra Spies, 70, of Verona, and Spies’ car struck the passenger-side doors of Smith’s pickup, causing heavy damage to the car at 12:27 p.m.
Bauer said Smith was treated at the scene for a minor hand injury and released. Spies was taken to Oneida City Hospital to be evaluated for arm, leg and chest pain. Smith was charged with failure to yield and will appear in Verona Town Court.
Verona Fire Department, Oneida Indian Nation Police and state police assisted.
- 7:57am 07/17/18Joy, Gansevoort schools closed today
- 4:10pm 07/16/18Development agency approves packages for Griffiss projects
- 4:00pm 07/16/18Gillibrand touts bill to cut medication costs
- 4:00pm 07/16/18Town of New Hartford closes on Gander Mountain site; building to house all town offices, officials say
- 4:00pm 07/16/18Low water at Delta Lake
- 4:00pm 07/16/18Floyd Field Days attracts crowd
- 4:00pm 07/16/18Mayor plans neighborhood walk Tuesday
- 4:00pm 07/16/18Eastern Star Home to mark 110th anniversary
- 4:00pm 07/16/18Cuomo: Keep allowing food stamp program use at farm markets
- 4:00pm 07/16/18Accident claims life of area teenager, law enforcers report