Driver ticketed in accident
VERONA — A pickup that attempted to cross Route 31 at the Sarenski and Beacon Light roads intersection caused a two-vehicle crash Monday afternoon.
Deputy Matthew Bauer said David Smith, 81, of Verona, was driving a red Chevrolet 1500 pickup on Sarenski Road, and attempted to cross Route 31 to Beacon Light Road, when he failed to yield the right of way after stopping at the stop sign.
Smith’s truck crossed in front of a white 2013 Subaru sedan driven by Sandra Spies, 70, of Verona, and Spies’ car struck the passenger-side doors of Smith’s pickup, causing heavy damage to the car at 12:27 p.m.
Bauer said Smith was treated at the scene for a minor hand injury and released. Spies was taken to Oneida City Hospital to be evaluated for arm, leg and chest pain. Smith was charged with failure to yield and will appear in Verona Town Court.
Verona Fire Department, Oneida Indian Nation Police and state police assisted.
- 4:10pm 05/24/18Sylvan Beach gears up for sun, fun
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Dairy farmers share concerns with county officials at forum
- 4:00pm 05/24/18French and Indian War Weekend returns to Fort Stanwix
- 4:00pm 05/24/18City reaches five-year pact with police union
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Kirkland Bird Club to offer hike
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Great Swamp to host free event with expert angler
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Patrols to be out in force Memorial Day weekend
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Movies — May 24, 2018
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Holy Cross Academy celebrates 20 years of service, educating area youth
- 4:00pm 05/24/18Red Cross installs over 900 smoke alarms