Driver ticketed in accident
VERONA — A pickup that attempted to cross Route 31 at the Sarenski and Beacon Light roads intersection caused a two-vehicle crash Monday afternoon.
Deputy Matthew Bauer said David Smith, 81, of Verona, was driving a red Chevrolet 1500 pickup on Sarenski Road, and attempted to cross Route 31 to Beacon Light Road, when he failed to yield the right of way after stopping at the stop sign.
Smith’s truck crossed in front of a white 2013 Subaru sedan driven by Sandra Spies, 70, of Verona, and Spies’ car struck the passenger-side doors of Smith’s pickup, causing heavy damage to the car at 12:27 p.m.
Bauer said Smith was treated at the scene for a minor hand injury and released. Spies was taken to Oneida City Hospital to be evaluated for arm, leg and chest pain. Smith was charged with failure to yield and will appear in Verona Town Court.
Verona Fire Department, Oneida Indian Nation Police and state police assisted.
- 4:10pm 11/17/18City’s Codes Department unveils hybrid car fleet
- 4:00pm 11/17/18DEC seeks input on managing Tug Hill lands
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Civic group honors AmeriCu’s Manuele
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Drivers urged to think safety as winter descends on region
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Woman gets probation for theft
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Eight area residents among state police grads
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Jervis serves as collection point for multiple community outreach efforts
- 4:00pm 11/17/18State champion RFA Marching Band receives commendation
- 4:00pm 11/17/18School board debates membership in statewide association
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Public Safety Logs — Nov. 17, 2018