Ammar T. Barakat
Driver, 24, charged with vehicular manslaughter
TOWN OF SCHUYLER — A 29-year-old man was killed when the vehicle he was riding in crashed on Route 5 in Herkimer County on Saturday night.
The driver, 24-year-old Ammar T. Barakat, of Marcy, has been charged with vehicular manslaughter for driving drunk, according to state police.
Troopers said Barakat was westbound at about 11:49 p.m. when he lost controlf his vehicle and hit a snowbank. Troopers said the vehicle then hit a telephone pole and flipped over, coming to rest on its roof.
Passenger Raymond M. Pinney, 29, of Herkimer, was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.
Barakat suffered minor lacerations to his head and was treated at the scene. Troopers said he registered a blood alcohol content of 0.12 percent.
Barakat is charged with one count each of second-degree vehicular manslaughter, a class D felony, driving while intoxicated, driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.08 percent or greater, failure to keep right and speeding, troopers said.
He was arraigned in court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $10,000 cash bail or $30,000 bond.
Barakat is scheduled to reappear in court on March 27.
- 1:00pm 08/21/17Next walk for mayor Tuesday on Mayberry St.
- 11:53am 08/21/17Manhunt continues for suspect
- 9:00am 08/20/17Mohawk Valley readies for rare glimpse of solar eclipse
- 4:00pm 08/19/17Mortgage Research Center pays restitution, fine in conduct home closing cost case
- 4:00pm 08/19/17Tenney urges president to continue to denounce racial hatred
- 4:00pm 08/19/17School district eyes savings of nearly $575,000
- 4:00pm 08/19/17Utica man faces weapons, multiple other charges after traffic stop
- 4:00pm 08/19/17Deerfield Place cuts ribbon on new apartment, townhouse complex in Utica
- 4:00pm 08/19/17Capitol to hold auditions for musical
- 4:00pm 08/19/17DOT reminds motorists to expect lane changes, watch for flaggers