Ammar T. Barakat
Driver, 24, charged with vehicular manslaughter
TOWN OF SCHUYLER — A 29-year-old man was killed when the vehicle he was riding in crashed on Route 5 in Herkimer County on Saturday night.
The driver, 24-year-old Ammar T. Barakat, of Marcy, has been charged with vehicular manslaughter for driving drunk, according to state police.
Troopers said Barakat was westbound at about 11:49 p.m. when he lost controlf his vehicle and hit a snowbank. Troopers said the vehicle then hit a telephone pole and flipped over, coming to rest on its roof.
Passenger Raymond M. Pinney, 29, of Herkimer, was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.
Barakat suffered minor lacerations to his head and was treated at the scene. Troopers said he registered a blood alcohol content of 0.12 percent.
Barakat is charged with one count each of second-degree vehicular manslaughter, a class D felony, driving while intoxicated, driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.08 percent or greater, failure to keep right and speeding, troopers said.
He was arraigned in court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $10,000 cash bail or $30,000 bond.
Barakat is scheduled to reappear in court on March 27.
- 4:01pm 06/19/18Classic jets fly into Griffiss for aerobatics, formation training
- 4:00pm 06/19/18Fourth-grader helps create new donut
- 4:00pm 06/19/18New grill to help fire up community relations
- 4:00pm 06/19/18Responsive vigil
- 4:00pm 06/19/18Candidates clash on health care
- 4:00pm 06/19/18Temporary Utica fire chief to resign
- 4:00pm 06/19/18Crash sends one to hospital
- 4:00pm 06/19/18Meetings — Wednesday, June 20, 2018
- 4:00pm 06/19/18Woman accused of switching out of driver’s seat charged
- 4:00pm 06/19/18Tractor trailer driver dies in accident