Ammar T. Barakat
Driver, 24, charged with vehicular manslaughter
TOWN OF SCHUYLER — A 29-year-old man was killed when the vehicle he was riding in crashed on Route 5 in Herkimer County on Saturday night.
The driver, 24-year-old Ammar T. Barakat, of Marcy, has been charged with vehicular manslaughter for driving drunk, according to state police.
Troopers said Barakat was westbound at about 11:49 p.m. when he lost controlf his vehicle and hit a snowbank. Troopers said the vehicle then hit a telephone pole and flipped over, coming to rest on its roof.
Passenger Raymond M. Pinney, 29, of Herkimer, was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.
Barakat suffered minor lacerations to his head and was treated at the scene. Troopers said he registered a blood alcohol content of 0.12 percent.
Barakat is charged with one count each of second-degree vehicular manslaughter, a class D felony, driving while intoxicated, driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.08 percent or greater, failure to keep right and speeding, troopers said.
He was arraigned in court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $10,000 cash bail or $30,000 bond.
Barakat is scheduled to reappear in court on March 27.
- 4:10pm 03/23/18Rome to get $1M from state to remediate former Rome Cable site
- 4:00pm 03/23/18City finalizes proposal for $10M downtown revitalization plan
- 4:00pm 03/23/18BOCES holds Open House
- 4:00pm 03/23/18Driver hurt after being cut off by school bus
- 4:00pm 03/23/18Utica woman accused of trying to attack social worker
- 4:00pm 03/23/18Stabbing victim dies of injuries
- 4:00pm 03/23/18Rome students to march, rally Saturday
- 4:00pm 03/23/18Pets can get pictures with Easter Bunny
- 4:00pm 03/23/18Pre-licensing class offered March 31 at Holy Cross Academy
- 4:00pm 03/23/18MVCC’s ‘AIM’ on target with cybersecurity training