Ammar T. Barakat
Driver, 24, charged with vehicular manslaughter
TOWN OF SCHUYLER — A 29-year-old man was killed when the vehicle he was riding in crashed on Route 5 in Herkimer County on Saturday night.
The driver, 24-year-old Ammar T. Barakat, of Marcy, has been charged with vehicular manslaughter for driving drunk, according to state police.
Troopers said Barakat was westbound at about 11:49 p.m. when he lost controlf his vehicle and hit a snowbank. Troopers said the vehicle then hit a telephone pole and flipped over, coming to rest on its roof.
Passenger Raymond M. Pinney, 29, of Herkimer, was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.
Barakat suffered minor lacerations to his head and was treated at the scene. Troopers said he registered a blood alcohol content of 0.12 percent.
Barakat is charged with one count each of second-degree vehicular manslaughter, a class D felony, driving while intoxicated, driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.08 percent or greater, failure to keep right and speeding, troopers said.
He was arraigned in court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $10,000 cash bail or $30,000 bond.
Barakat is scheduled to reappear in court on March 27.
- 4:10pm 10/17/17Partnership is a knockout for region, officials say
- 4:00pm 10/17/17Murder suspect due to return by end of the month
- 4:00pm 10/17/17Oneida County weighs joining lawsuit against drug companies
- 4:00pm 10/17/17Defense points to victim’s son
- 4:00pm 10/17/17Filings show hefty war chests in 22nd district race
- 4:00pm 10/17/17Road work continues on Route 825
- 4:00pm 10/17/17Rome man faces drunk driving charge
- 4:00pm 10/17/17Board of Ed committee to begin discussions on service contracts Thursday
- 4:00pm 10/17/17State surplus vehicle auction set in Oneida
- 4:00pm 10/17/17Food Network star coming to MVCC