Ammar T. Barakat
Driver, 24, charged with vehicular manslaughter
TOWN OF SCHUYLER — A 29-year-old man was killed when the vehicle he was riding in crashed on Route 5 in Herkimer County on Saturday night.
The driver, 24-year-old Ammar T. Barakat, of Marcy, has been charged with vehicular manslaughter for driving drunk, according to state police.
Troopers said Barakat was westbound at about 11:49 p.m. when he lost controlf his vehicle and hit a snowbank. Troopers said the vehicle then hit a telephone pole and flipped over, coming to rest on its roof.
Passenger Raymond M. Pinney, 29, of Herkimer, was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.
Barakat suffered minor lacerations to his head and was treated at the scene. Troopers said he registered a blood alcohol content of 0.12 percent.
Barakat is charged with one count each of second-degree vehicular manslaughter, a class D felony, driving while intoxicated, driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.08 percent or greater, failure to keep right and speeding, troopers said.
He was arraigned in court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $10,000 cash bail or $30,000 bond.
Barakat is scheduled to reappear in court on March 27.
- 4:00pm 03/22/17‘School of Rock’ to take stage in Westmoreland
- 4:00pm 03/22/17Pre-K busing rolls back into school budget plan
- 4:00pm 03/22/17Pair of projects to receive incentives, tax breaks
- 4:00pm 03/22/17Incumbent first to file for school board election
- 4:00pm 03/22/17Write-in candidate wins Barneveld mayoral race by more than 2 to 1
- 4:00pm 03/22/17Clark named Officer of the Month
- 4:00pm 03/22/17Three accused of slashing tires, causing more than $250 in damages
- 4:00pm 03/22/17Stockbridge standoff ends with several charges
- 4:00pm 03/22/17Meetings — March 23, 2017
- 4:00pm 03/22/17AAA survey finds support for rear seat belt law for adults