Ammar T. Barakat
Driver, 24, charged with vehicular manslaughter
TOWN OF SCHUYLER — A 29-year-old man was killed when the vehicle he was riding in crashed on Route 5 in Herkimer County on Saturday night.
The driver, 24-year-old Ammar T. Barakat, of Marcy, has been charged with vehicular manslaughter for driving drunk, according to state police.
Troopers said Barakat was westbound at about 11:49 p.m. when he lost controlf his vehicle and hit a snowbank. Troopers said the vehicle then hit a telephone pole and flipped over, coming to rest on its roof.
Passenger Raymond M. Pinney, 29, of Herkimer, was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.
Barakat suffered minor lacerations to his head and was treated at the scene. Troopers said he registered a blood alcohol content of 0.12 percent.
Barakat is charged with one count each of second-degree vehicular manslaughter, a class D felony, driving while intoxicated, driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.08 percent or greater, failure to keep right and speeding, troopers said.
He was arraigned in court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $10,000 cash bail or $30,000 bond.
Barakat is scheduled to reappear in court on March 27.
- 4:10pm 04/22/17Jury selection starts Monday in murder trial
- 4:00pm 04/22/17Marcy Nanocenter work wins award for firm
- 4:00pm 04/22/17Plan to cut parking in downtown Oneida draws concerns
- 4:00pm 04/22/17Oneida, other counties weigh public defender caseload caps, funding
- 4:00pm 04/22/17President Trump talks with Tenney’s son before six-month military deployment to Iraq
- 4:00pm 04/22/17Area job count increases by 1,200 over last year
- 4:00pm 04/22/17Crash leads to injuries, fuel spill in New Hartford
- 4:00pm 04/22/17Unattended children lead to charges
- 4:00pm 04/22/17Madison County man sold illegal bath salt drugs, deputies say
- 4:00pm 04/22/17Public Safety Logs — April 22, 2017