Ammar T. Barakat
Driver, 24, charged with vehicular manslaughter
TOWN OF SCHUYLER — A 29-year-old man was killed when the vehicle he was riding in crashed on Route 5 in Herkimer County on Saturday night.
The driver, 24-year-old Ammar T. Barakat, of Marcy, has been charged with vehicular manslaughter for driving drunk, according to state police.
Troopers said Barakat was westbound at about 11:49 p.m. when he lost controlf his vehicle and hit a snowbank. Troopers said the vehicle then hit a telephone pole and flipped over, coming to rest on its roof.
Passenger Raymond M. Pinney, 29, of Herkimer, was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.
Barakat suffered minor lacerations to his head and was treated at the scene. Troopers said he registered a blood alcohol content of 0.12 percent.
Barakat is charged with one count each of second-degree vehicular manslaughter, a class D felony, driving while intoxicated, driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.08 percent or greater, failure to keep right and speeding, troopers said.
He was arraigned in court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $10,000 cash bail or $30,000 bond.
Barakat is scheduled to reappear in court on March 27.
- 4:10pm 09/20/17Growing firm begins project Industrial development agency to provide incentives
- 4:00pm 09/20/17Pumpkin season
- 4:00pm 09/20/17Maple Leaf Market nears grand opening in Sherrill
- 4:00pm 09/20/17Recovering heroin user gives hope for addicts, families
- 4:00pm 09/20/17Enjoy the sun, forecasters say, as slow, cool shift expected
- 4:00pm 09/20/17City’s Board of Estimate and Contract poised to approve demolition deals
- 4:00pm 09/20/17Psychiatrist pleads guilty in fraud case at state psychiatric center
- 4:00pm 09/20/17Man, 56, accused of breaking into home, harassing residents
- 4:00pm 09/20/17Workshop highlights groups that aid new farmers
- 4:00pm 09/20/17Fundraiser planned for congressional hopeful