Ammar T. Barakat
Driver, 24, charged with vehicular manslaughter
TOWN OF SCHUYLER — A 29-year-old man was killed when the vehicle he was riding in crashed on Route 5 in Herkimer County on Saturday night.
The driver, 24-year-old Ammar T. Barakat, of Marcy, has been charged with vehicular manslaughter for driving drunk, according to state police.
Troopers said Barakat was westbound at about 11:49 p.m. when he lost controlf his vehicle and hit a snowbank. Troopers said the vehicle then hit a telephone pole and flipped over, coming to rest on its roof.
Passenger Raymond M. Pinney, 29, of Herkimer, was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.
Barakat suffered minor lacerations to his head and was treated at the scene. Troopers said he registered a blood alcohol content of 0.12 percent.
Barakat is charged with one count each of second-degree vehicular manslaughter, a class D felony, driving while intoxicated, driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.08 percent or greater, failure to keep right and speeding, troopers said.
He was arraigned in court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $10,000 cash bail or $30,000 bond.
Barakat is scheduled to reappear in court on March 27.
- 4:10pm 11/21/17Holiday travelers to see lower gas prices
- 4:00pm 11/21/17County executive helps to raise awareness for Giving Tuesday
- 4:00pm 11/21/17Area road construction projects linger on
- 4:00pm 11/21/17Officials secure $250K for Chenango Road Bridge
- 4:00pm 11/21/17Getting ready for Rome’s Christmas tree lighting ceremony
- 4:00pm 11/21/17Nurses contract, resource officer position before county board
- 4:00pm 11/21/17School district outlines ‘snow day’ policy, procedures
- 4:00pm 11/21/17Rome man, 33, charged with choking girlfriend
- 4:00pm 11/21/17Sauquoit man succumbs to injuries in Herkimer County
- 4:00pm 11/21/17Two sent to federal prison on meth charges