Ammar T. Barakat
Driver, 24, charged with vehicular manslaughter
TOWN OF SCHUYLER — A 29-year-old man was killed when the vehicle he was riding in crashed on Route 5 in Herkimer County on Saturday night.
The driver, 24-year-old Ammar T. Barakat, of Marcy, has been charged with vehicular manslaughter for driving drunk, according to state police.
Troopers said Barakat was westbound at about 11:49 p.m. when he lost controlf his vehicle and hit a snowbank. Troopers said the vehicle then hit a telephone pole and flipped over, coming to rest on its roof.
Passenger Raymond M. Pinney, 29, of Herkimer, was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.
Barakat suffered minor lacerations to his head and was treated at the scene. Troopers said he registered a blood alcohol content of 0.12 percent.
Barakat is charged with one count each of second-degree vehicular manslaughter, a class D felony, driving while intoxicated, driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.08 percent or greater, failure to keep right and speeding, troopers said.
He was arraigned in court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $10,000 cash bail or $30,000 bond.
Barakat is scheduled to reappear in court on March 27.
- 12:00pm 05/24/17Dryer blamed in New London fire; family of five displaced
- 4:10pm 05/23/17City gets grant for Haselton park pavilion
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Fort Stanwix to be surrounded once again; monument to host French and Indian War Weekend
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Local lawmakers back relief efforts for Vernon Downs
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Honoring service and sacrifice
- 4:00pm 05/23/17State Senate again takes aim at laser pointing at aircraft
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Teen charged with assault, accused of injuring adult male
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Master’s program at SUNY Poly lauded
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Utica man hospitalized after shooting
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Kay Real Estate to be honored at chamber luncheon