Ammar T. Barakat
Driver, 24, charged with vehicular manslaughter
TOWN OF SCHUYLER — A 29-year-old man was killed when the vehicle he was riding in crashed on Route 5 in Herkimer County on Saturday night.
The driver, 24-year-old Ammar T. Barakat, of Marcy, has been charged with vehicular manslaughter for driving drunk, according to state police.
Troopers said Barakat was westbound at about 11:49 p.m. when he lost controlf his vehicle and hit a snowbank. Troopers said the vehicle then hit a telephone pole and flipped over, coming to rest on its roof.
Passenger Raymond M. Pinney, 29, of Herkimer, was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.
Barakat suffered minor lacerations to his head and was treated at the scene. Troopers said he registered a blood alcohol content of 0.12 percent.
Barakat is charged with one count each of second-degree vehicular manslaughter, a class D felony, driving while intoxicated, driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.08 percent or greater, failure to keep right and speeding, troopers said.
He was arraigned in court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $10,000 cash bail or $30,000 bond.
Barakat is scheduled to reappear in court on March 27.
- 4:10pm 07/25/17The Owl and The Silver Moon preschool set for Sept. opening
- 4:00pm 07/25/17Council eyes pair of grants
- 4:00pm 07/25/17Movies — July 25, 2017
- 4:00pm 07/25/17Tenney: Senate must act on FEMA reforms
- 4:00pm 07/25/17City’s Grievance Day set for Aug. 1
- 4:00pm 07/25/17Corrected diplomas sent to graduates
- 4:00pm 07/25/17Man charged with assault for repeatedly punching teen
- 4:00pm 07/25/17County inmate found with Xanax, according to county authorities
- 4:00pm 07/25/17Attack leads to charges in Madison County
- 4:00pm 07/25/17Oneida man charged with burglary