Ammar T. Barakat
Driver, 24, charged with vehicular manslaughter
TOWN OF SCHUYLER — A 29-year-old man was killed when the vehicle he was riding in crashed on Route 5 in Herkimer County on Saturday night.
The driver, 24-year-old Ammar T. Barakat, of Marcy, has been charged with vehicular manslaughter for driving drunk, according to state police.
Troopers said Barakat was westbound at about 11:49 p.m. when he lost controlf his vehicle and hit a snowbank. Troopers said the vehicle then hit a telephone pole and flipped over, coming to rest on its roof.
Passenger Raymond M. Pinney, 29, of Herkimer, was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.
Barakat suffered minor lacerations to his head and was treated at the scene. Troopers said he registered a blood alcohol content of 0.12 percent.
Barakat is charged with one count each of second-degree vehicular manslaughter, a class D felony, driving while intoxicated, driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.08 percent or greater, failure to keep right and speeding, troopers said.
He was arraigned in court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $10,000 cash bail or $30,000 bond.
Barakat is scheduled to reappear in court on March 27.
- 4:10pm 04/25/18Capital improvements project underway at Oriskany Central School
- 4:00pm 04/25/18Pair of Lincoln residents charged with cooking meth
- 4:00pm 04/25/18Area unemployment rate up compared to March 2017
- 4:00pm 04/25/18Ballot lines decided for Tenney, Brindisi
- 4:00pm 04/25/18Court clears Utica police officer in fatal shooting
- 4:00pm 04/25/18SUNY Poly to take part in ‘Yards for Yeardley’
- 4:00pm 04/25/18Turning Stone launching Thursday professional comedy series
- 4:00pm 04/25/18MVCC to host lecture by paralympian Tucker
- 4:00pm 04/25/18Pair of Oneonta residents accused of trying to scam businesses
- 4:00pm 04/25/18Meetings — Thursday, April 26, 2018