Deputies seek pair of suspects in ambush of Verona resident
TOWN OF VERONA — A manhunt is on for two men who ambushed a Verona resident outside his home at about 9 p.m. Wednesday, according to law enforcement officials.
Sheriff’s deputies said two men appeared at the front door of a residence in the 4000 block and asked for help, claiming their vehicle had broken down on the side of the road near the home. The resident called 9-1-1 for the motorists and then went outside to help — only to immediately be struck in the back of the head by one of the two men, deputies stated.
The resident told them he had already called 9-1-1, and the two men fled the area in their vehicle.
The attack took place near the intersection with Stoney Brook Road, just south of the Turning Stone Resort and Casino.
One man is described as a black male with short dreadlocks, in his late teens or early 20s. The other man is described as Latino, also in his late teens or early 20s. Deputies said they fled in a gray-colored 90s-era Volkswagen, boxy in style.
The resident was not injured and no weapons were displayed.
Anyone with may have witnessed the attack or has information on the two men is asked to call investigators at (315) 765-2718. All calls will be kept confidential.
- 4:10pm 11/21/17Holiday travelers to see lower gas prices
- 4:00pm 11/21/17County executive helps to raise awareness for Giving Tuesday
- 4:00pm 11/21/17Area road construction projects linger on
- 4:00pm 11/21/17Officials secure $250K for Chenango Road Bridge
- 4:00pm 11/21/17Getting ready for Rome’s Christmas tree lighting ceremony
- 4:00pm 11/21/17Nurses contract, resource officer position before county board
- 4:00pm 11/21/17School district outlines ‘snow day’ policy, procedures
- 4:00pm 11/21/17Rome man, 33, charged with choking girlfriend
- 4:00pm 11/21/17Sauquoit man succumbs to injuries in Herkimer County
- 4:00pm 11/21/17Two sent to federal prison on meth charges