Crash sends three to hospital as driver tries to avoid deer
TOWN OF TURIN — Three people were hospitalized after a motor vehicle in Lewis County swerved to avoid a deer early this morning and instead hit a utility pole.
Sheriff’s deputies said Niyon R. Sloan, 20, of Fort Drum, was driving on Route 26 at about 4 a.m. when he swerved to avoid a deer in the roadway and his 2015 Chevy sedan hit a utility pole. Sloan was uninjured, authorities said.
Two passengers were taken to Lewis County Hospital for minor injuries, and a third passenger was taken to St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Utica for a head injury, authorities stated. A fourth passenger was not injured.
No tickets were issued.
- 11:46am 11/16/18Early season nor’easter socks region
- 4:00pm 11/15/18City's Board of Estimate to hold special meeting
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Board, groups meet to discuss minority concerns
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Flakes to fly; several inches of snow likely
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Oneida County lawmakers approve budget without gaming revenue sharing
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Nursing facility donates to Rescue Mission
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Rescue Mission puts out call for turkeys
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Lewis County man hospitalized after rescuing dogs from fire
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Council approves trash, dog ordinance changes
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Trailbusters to host NYS safety course