Conservation officers help young skunk in distress in Utica
Environmental conservation officers assisted staff of a Utica hotel in helping a young skunk that had an ice cream cup stuck on his head on Friday, Aug. 24.
The state Department of Environmental Conservation said ECO Jeffrey Hull received a call from staff at the Hampton Inn stating that the skunk with the cup stuck on its head was running circles in the parking lot.
When Hull arrived to the scene, he found a large crowd of hotel guests gathered, the DEC official added.
Hull said he advised everyone to step back as he placed a towel over the animal and slowly removed the cup and plastic lid from its head.
The skunk sprayed as soon as it was freed and ran off unharmed, Hull said.
- 11:38am 09/25/18Westmoreland firefighters rescue dog
- 4:02pm 09/24/18Gas prices remain steady in region, AAA survey reports
- 4:01pm 09/24/18Thousands descend on the Remsen Barn Fest
- 4:00pm 09/24/18Saturday's Royalty and Rogues IV festival in Stittville
- 4:00pm 09/24/18Meetings — Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2018
- 4:00pm 09/24/18Man injured in flipped vehicle trying to avoid deer
- 4:00pm 09/24/18Community Foundation offers training for non-profits
- 4:00pm 09/24/18Pair of Oneida residents charged with driving stolen car
- 4:00pm 09/24/18Crash sends couple to hospital
- 4:00pm 09/24/18200 jobs, millions in investment projected for drone zone