Conservation officers help young skunk in distress in Utica
Environmental conservation officers assisted staff of a Utica hotel in helping a young skunk that had an ice cream cup stuck on his head on Friday, Aug. 24.
The state Department of Environmental Conservation said ECO Jeffrey Hull received a call from staff at the Hampton Inn stating that the skunk with the cup stuck on its head was running circles in the parking lot.
When Hull arrived to the scene, he found a large crowd of hotel guests gathered, the DEC official added.
Hull said he advised everyone to step back as he placed a towel over the animal and slowly removed the cup and plastic lid from its head.
The skunk sprayed as soon as it was freed and ran off unharmed, Hull said.
- 4:10pm 11/17/18City’s Codes Department unveils hybrid car fleet $100,000 state grant funds purchase of new, energy-efficient vehicles
- 4:00pm 11/17/18DEC seeks input on managing Tug Hill lands
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Civic group honors AmeriCu’s Manuele
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Drivers urged to think safety as winter descends on region
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Woman gets probation for theft
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Eight area residents among state police grads
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Jervis serves as collection point for multiple community outreach efforts
- 4:00pm 11/17/18State champion RFA Marching Band receives commendation
- 4:00pm 11/17/18School board debates membership in statewide association
- 4:00pm 11/17/18Public Safety Logs — Nov. 17, 2018