Cold, hot roof hinder firefighters in New London
TOWN OF VERONA — Frigid temperatures and a hot tin roof hindered firefighters during a house fire on County Highway 50 Monday afternoon.
Officials believe the fire started in the pellet stove. The resident has been displaced from her home.
New London Fire Chief Gene Carey said a neighbor discovered the fire in the hamlet and called 9-1-1 at about 4 p.m. Volunteer crews responded and found the two-story home in flames, with heavy fire on the second floor and in the basement. No one was home.
“It was burning up on that second floor before anyone had even seen it,” Carey said.
“We started out with an exterior attack, then we went interior to get up on that second floor to beat some of the flames back.”
The chief said the residence had a tin roof that kept the heat inside the residence. He said they had to peel back the roof “to get the heat out of there” for their interior attack.
Carey said the fire took about three hours before it was under control. Frigid temperatures on Monday forced them to rotate firefighters in and out of service. Carey said they also had to keep the hose lines running water so that they did not freeze up.They did have a problem with run-off water freezing on the roadway, making for an icy scene, but a sand truck was brought in to cover the ice, the chief said.
One firefighter was hospitalized after he was struck in the helmet with a tree branch while he was clearing room for hose lines at the front of the house, Carey said. The firefighter was not injured, but was taken to a local hospital as a precaution.
Carey said the fire is believed to have started in the pellet stove on the first floor. The single resident was not home at the time. She has been displaced from her home. The New London, Verona, Vienna, Durhamville, Sylvan Beach, North Bay, Westmoreland and Taberg fire departments responded.
- 4:10pm 12/13/17City workers gather enough toys for holiday presents for 40 children
- 4:00pm 12/13/17Leadership likely to remain the same for Board of Legislators
- 4:00pm 12/13/17'A Tuba Christmas' held at Capitol
- 4:00pm 12/13/17Oneida passes 2018 budget over mayor’s objection to tax hike
- 4:00pm 12/13/17Robotics contest Saturday at RFA
- 4:00pm 12/13/17Highway super: Don’t blow snow in streets
- 4:00pm 12/13/17Lee to get nearly $30,000 for sale of timber in town park
- 4:00pm 12/13/17Utican faces drug charges after Thruway search
- 4:00pm 12/13/17SEQR may help resolve landfill dispute, say officials
- 4:00pm 12/13/17Valesky helps unveil Tesla program at OCC