Child Advocacy Center welcomes new leader
Former City of Norwich police officer and investigator Michael Purdy has been named the new head of the Oneida County Child Advocacy Center.
The county CAC investigates sex crimes against children.
Purdy has been hired as a chief deputy at the Oneida County Sheriff’s Office as part of the new position. Purdy replaces former chief deputy Joseph Lisi, who was promoted this summer to undersheriff.
“The investigations that we conduct here are very sensitive cases,” Purdy said of the position. His first day was Thursday.
“Our role is to make the children feel safe, protect them from it happening again and to pursue the suspects.”
According to officials, Purdy joins the CAC from the Norwich Police Department in Chenango County, where he worked for 20 years.
Purdy started as a patrolman, then worked as an investigator with both the Narcotics Unit and the Chenango County Child Advocacy Center. Purdy said he worked at the Chenango County CAC for about 10 years.
He said he joined the Oneida County CAC after meeting with the “highly-trained” and “very professional” staff. Purdy noted that the Oneida County CAC was one of the first in the state and set many of the standards for such an agency, including helping to develop the Chenango County CAC.
“I saw a great opportunity,” Purdy said on making the move to Oneida County.
“The whole county should be happy about having such a great facility.”
- 4:00pm 11/15/18City's Board of Estimate to hold special meeting
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Board, groups meet to discuss minority concerns
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Flakes to fly; several inches of snow likely
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Oneida County lawmakers approve budget without gaming revenue sharing
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Nursing facility donates to Rescue Mission
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Rescue Mission puts out call for turkeys
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Lewis County man hospitalized after rescuing dogs from fire
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Council approves trash, dog ordinance changes
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Trailbusters to host NYS safety course
- 4:00pm 11/15/18Children can send Christmas wishes to Santa Claus