Cats killed, house destroyed in Sunset Lane fire
Several cats were killed in a large house fire that tore through a home on Sunset Lane in the city’s outer district Friday afternoon.
No people were injured during the fire.
Homeowner Laurie Stafford was not at home when the fire started in the furnished basement at 8394 Sunset Lane, a small cul-de-sac off Lorena Road, fire officials said. A neighbor saw the smoke and raised the alarm to 9-1-1 at 3:36 p.m.
“At the point that we got there, the house was pretty much consumed,” said Deputy Fire Chief Mark S. Kohlbrenner. “We believe it started in the basement.”
The cause of the fire remains under investigation. Kohlbrenner said the flames spread up through the back and side of the residence, then burned a large hole in the middle of the roof. Responding firefighters launched an exterior attack.
“Once I saw the back of the house, I realized it wouldn’t be safe to put anybody inside,” the chief stated.
Kohlbrenner said there was some trouble initially when the first two fire hydrants they tried had low water pressure. The Lake Delta, Lee Center and Westernville volunteer fire departments aided in tankering water to the scene.
“The volunteer firefighters did a phenomenal job bringing us water,” Kohlbrenner said.
The fire was declared under control in less than an hour. Crews remained on the scene dousing hotspots and cleaning up for several hours more.
Once the building was clear, Kohlbrenner said several pet cats were discovered dead inside the home. One cat managed to escape, and was found hiding in the bushes nearby, he added.
The chief said Stafford, the homeowner and sole resident, was insured for the damage. He said she was staying with friends overnight, and the American Red Cross had been notified to assist.
- 4:00pm 06/20/18Police warn drivers to obey crosswalks, lookout for pedestrians
- 4:00pm 06/20/18Police seek help to identify suspect
- 4:00pm 06/20/18Former state trooper arrested second time for drunk driving
- 4:00pm 06/20/18Officials seek to raise awareness of elder abuse
- 4:00pm 06/20/18Camden Class of 1963 to hold 55-year reunion
- 4:00pm 06/20/181973 RFA 45-year class reunion Aug. 10-11
- 4:00pm 06/20/18County Jail to receive $200,000 from state to help with opioid treatment, services
- 4:00pm 06/20/18Meetings — Thursday, June 21, 2018
- 4:00pm 06/20/18Travel Club helps students see world, expand horizons
- 4:00pm 06/20/18Public Safety Logs — June 20, 2018