Bus fumes sicken HP students
HOLLAND PATENT — Eleven students from the Holland Patent School District were hospitalized Wednesday after a mechanical problem on a school bus exposed them to vehicle fumes, according to a statement by school district officials.
Superintendent Jason P. Evangelist said that the bus was bound for morning classes at Oneida BOCES when it sustained the minor mechanical problem.
The students on the bus
were exposed to fumes, and
they were checked and cleared by a school nurse when they arrived at BOCES, the statement said.
The students continued to classes, but Evangelist said
when they returned to the district shortly after noon, some of the students reported feeling sick.
The district called paramedics to the school to check the students and Evangelist said that most of the students were again cleared medically.
A total of 11 students were sick enough that Evangelist said they were transported to local medical facilities for further examination and treatment.
He said the parents and guardians of the students were notified and an alert went out to other parents.
“It is not believed that this incident has resulted in any serious health problems,” Evangelist said in a release.
“But we believe it is always best to be cautious with possible student health concerns,” the Holland Patent superintendent added.
- 4:10pm 11/22/17Ribbon cut for new health care services downtown
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Gingerbread Village open at Turning Stone
- 4:00pm 11/22/17House at 426 W. Court St. demolished
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Small businesses to come together Saturday
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Army helicopters at Griffiss
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Lee waits for answers to trickle in from state on well-drilling
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Two run for one seat on Lee Board of Fire Commissioners
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Comets deliver turkeys, and good will, to local families in need
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Sherrill to host Christmas lighting contest
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Discussion on U.S.-Iran relations at Hamilton College