Edward S. Highers
Boy in critical condition after BB gun game
HAMILTON — A 26-year-old Madison County man has been charged with felony assault after law enforcers said he shot a 9-year-old boy in the chest with a BB gun during a game.
Sheriff’s deputies said Edward S. Highers, of 11 Radnor Road, Morrisville, was playing a game called “one pump” with a 9-year-old boy at a residence in Hamilton on Thursday night. Deputies said the two of them would each pump the BB gun once and then shoot the other.
During one round, authorities said Highers pumped the BB gun several times, adding more pressure to the shot, and he fired the gun into the boy’s chest. Deputies said the BB became lodged under the boy’s skin, next to his heart.
The boy was rushed to the Hamilton Hospital at about 10 p.m. Authorities said he was transferred to University Hospital in Syracuse in critical condition.
The Sheriff’s Office did not release the relationship between Highers and the boy.
Highers is charged with one count each of first-degree assault, a class B felony, first-degree reckless endangerment, a class D felony, and endangering the welfare of a child, a misdemeanor, authorities said.
He was arraigned in Town Court and was sent to county jail in lieu of $10,000 cash bail or $20,000 bond.
He is scheduled to reappear in court on Monday.
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Zoning dispute becomes heated in Lee
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Trucker pleads guilty to lying to state in Workers’ Comp case
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Rome Police nab wanted man
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Area officials blast Cuomo comment
- 4:00pm 08/16/18City seeks applicants for arena work
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Community Foundation awards over $1.4M in grants to area organizations
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Movies — Aug. 16, 2018
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Public Safety Logs — Aug. 16, 2018
- 12:00pm 08/16/18District outlines new school supplies decision
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Only few small hurdles remain for Strough reopening