JOB’S DONE — Rome firefighters store their hose lines after a small fire at 5959 Old Oneida Road at about 8:30 a.m. today. The fire was a quick knockdown in a rear storage addition. Nobody was hurt. (Sentinel photo by Mike Verostek)
Blaze is final call for Rome dep. chief
A small fire in the back of a storage room on Old Oneida Road marked the last day for retiring deputy fire chief Thomas P. Palinski this morning.
Palinski, age 61, who joined the Rome Fire Department in July 1985, found “light smoke coming out of the back here” when he arrived at 5959 Old Oneida Road at about 8:30 a.m. today. The two-story residence is located west off Route 26, near the old prison.
A neighbor spotted the smoke and called 9-1-1 after the resident had already left for work.
“When I came around, the door was hot,” Palinski explained. The fire was located in a rear storage addition to the house. Palinski’s firefighters “went inside and put it out” quickly, he stated.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation. Fire damage was contained to the small fire’s location against a back wall.
“It smoked up the whole house. We had to ventilate that,” Palinski said at the scene.
Nobody was home at the time of the fire and nobody was hurt, the chief said. The pets also survived.
“The dog’s OK and the birds are chirping, so that’s a good sign,” Palinski stated.
According to city records, the property is owned by Neil Brodock of Halstead Road.
Deputy Chief Palinski’s last day of service was today. He said he plans to travel in his retirement.
- 4:10pm 07/20/17Bicyclists can ride through region’s history with new feature
- 4:00pm 07/20/17Sylvan Beach gets ready to welcome pirates this weekend
- 4:00pm 07/20/17Good Samaritan rescues woman from rapids
- 4:00pm 07/20/17County executive to feds: Flood victims are engulfed by bureaucracy, red tape
- 4:00pm 07/20/17Aldi's reopens
- 4:00pm 07/20/17Algae forces beaches to close
- 4:00pm 07/20/17RPD holds Law Enforcement Day
- 4:00pm 07/20/17Rome Cemetery announces plans for annual ice cream social event
- 4:00pm 07/20/17Meetings — July 20, 2017
- 4:00pm 07/20/17Second St. man accused of damaging girlfriend’s van, slamming door on cops