JOB’S DONE — Rome firefighters store their hose lines after a small fire at 5959 Old Oneida Road at about 8:30 a.m. today. The fire was a quick knockdown in a rear storage addition. Nobody was hurt. (Sentinel photo by Mike Verostek)
Blaze is final call for Rome dep. chief
A small fire in the back of a storage room on Old Oneida Road marked the last day for retiring deputy fire chief Thomas P. Palinski this morning.
Palinski, age 61, who joined the Rome Fire Department in July 1985, found “light smoke coming out of the back here” when he arrived at 5959 Old Oneida Road at about 8:30 a.m. today. The two-story residence is located west off Route 26, near the old prison.
A neighbor spotted the smoke and called 9-1-1 after the resident had already left for work.
“When I came around, the door was hot,” Palinski explained. The fire was located in a rear storage addition to the house. Palinski’s firefighters “went inside and put it out” quickly, he stated.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation. Fire damage was contained to the small fire’s location against a back wall.
“It smoked up the whole house. We had to ventilate that,” Palinski said at the scene.
Nobody was home at the time of the fire and nobody was hurt, the chief said. The pets also survived.
“The dog’s OK and the birds are chirping, so that’s a good sign,” Palinski stated.
According to city records, the property is owned by Neil Brodock of Halstead Road.
Deputy Chief Palinski’s last day of service was today. He said he plans to travel in his retirement.
- 9:00am 06/17/18Chewie takes top place in Pet Photo Contest
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Damaged helicopter had stopped at Griffiss to refuel
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Beta Sigma Phi Sorority holds ceremony, elects officers
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Earns doctorate
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Police urge drivers to look out for pedestrians at crosswalks
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Lee truck driver charged with Workers’ Compensation fraud, larceny
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Farmers Market returns downtown
- 4:00pm 06/16/18County officials hail winners at inaugural Youth Awards Dinner
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Officials investigate cause of fire in Utica
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Public Safety Logs — June 16, 2018