JOB’S DONE — Rome firefighters store their hose lines after a small fire at 5959 Old Oneida Road at about 8:30 a.m. today. The fire was a quick knockdown in a rear storage addition. Nobody was hurt. (Sentinel photo by Mike Verostek)
Blaze is final call for Rome dep. chief
A small fire in the back of a storage room on Old Oneida Road marked the last day for retiring deputy fire chief Thomas P. Palinski this morning.
Palinski, age 61, who joined the Rome Fire Department in July 1985, found “light smoke coming out of the back here” when he arrived at 5959 Old Oneida Road at about 8:30 a.m. today. The two-story residence is located west off Route 26, near the old prison.
A neighbor spotted the smoke and called 9-1-1 after the resident had already left for work.
“When I came around, the door was hot,” Palinski explained. The fire was located in a rear storage addition to the house. Palinski’s firefighters “went inside and put it out” quickly, he stated.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation. Fire damage was contained to the small fire’s location against a back wall.
“It smoked up the whole house. We had to ventilate that,” Palinski said at the scene.
Nobody was home at the time of the fire and nobody was hurt, the chief said. The pets also survived.
“The dog’s OK and the birds are chirping, so that’s a good sign,” Palinski stated.
According to city records, the property is owned by Neil Brodock of Halstead Road.
Deputy Chief Palinski’s last day of service was today. He said he plans to travel in his retirement.
- 4:10pm 11/18/17Pendorf, Blackall honored for contributions to Rome’s historical preservation
- 4:00pm 11/18/17BOE approves overseas trip; mulls association expense
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Oneida Common Council reviews 2018 budget with water, police departments
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Gift sign-ups start Nov. 27 at rescue mission
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Steuben justice resigns following private investigation
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Public Safety Logs — Nov. 18, 2017
- 4:00pm 11/18/17‘Stuff the Bus’ kicks-off today
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Meetings — Monday, Nov. 20
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Genius NY names 16 semifinalists
- 4:00pm 11/18/17Syracuse man charged with DUI in two-vehicle Verona crash