Barn fire kills three pigs
WESTMORELAND — Three pigs were killed in a barn fire on West Carter Road Sunday afternoon.
Fire officials said a passerby discovered the blaze at 6909 W. Carter Road at about 4:22 p.m. Owner Bryan Nelson was not home at the time, officials said. The farm is located just west of Route 233.
“It was fully involved” when fire crews arrived on the scene, said Fire Chief Jeff Grube.
Three pigs were lost in the fire, while the family’s cows and chickens were able to escape, he stated. Some farm equipment was also destroyed in the blaze. Grube said the volunteers launched a “surround and down” exterior attack on the fire. The flames were knocked down in about 45 minutes.
The cause of the fire is under investigation, he said.
The Westmoreland, Stanwix Heights, Clark Mills, Clinton and Verona fire departments responded, with Vernon and Oriskany on standby.
- 4:10pm 05/25/18Rome Elks use unique fundraiser to aid area vets
- 4:00pm 05/25/18Amber Alert issued for 14-month-old
- 4:00pm 05/25/18Defendant in UC threat case charged with theft
- 4:00pm 05/25/18Motorcyclist charged after nearly year-long investigation into New Hartford accident
- 4:00pm 05/25/18Sylvan Beach, county finalizing plan to close unsupervised swimming area
- 4:00pm 05/25/18Pair of anglers accused of breaking fishing limits
- 4:00pm 05/25/18Steel workers union endorses Brindisi for Congress
- 4:00pm 05/25/18City casts net again for rescheduled fishing derby
- 4:00pm 05/25/18Community Bank donates $10,000 to Rome Hospital Foundation
- 4:00pm 05/25/18Turning Stone names new director of nightlife