Barn fire kills three pigs
WESTMORELAND — Three pigs were killed in a barn fire on West Carter Road Sunday afternoon.
Fire officials said a passerby discovered the blaze at 6909 W. Carter Road at about 4:22 p.m. Owner Bryan Nelson was not home at the time, officials said. The farm is located just west of Route 233.
“It was fully involved” when fire crews arrived on the scene, said Fire Chief Jeff Grube.
Three pigs were lost in the fire, while the family’s cows and chickens were able to escape, he stated. Some farm equipment was also destroyed in the blaze. Grube said the volunteers launched a “surround and down” exterior attack on the fire. The flames were knocked down in about 45 minutes.
The cause of the fire is under investigation, he said.
The Westmoreland, Stanwix Heights, Clark Mills, Clinton and Verona fire departments responded, with Vernon and Oriskany on standby.
- 4:00pm 10/22/18Pair vie for seat on Lee Town Board
- 4:00pm 10/22/18Woman charged with slashing man during dispute
- 4:00pm 10/22/18Man charged with assault after smashed glass cuts child
- 4:00pm 10/22/18Two charged, two sought in Oneida home invasion
- 4:00pm 10/22/18Nuns on the Bus to make stop outside Tenney office
- 4:00pm 10/22/18Man accused of attacks on girlfriend, wandering into W. Liberty St. home
- 4:00pm 10/22/18District, Birnie Bus near launch of bus tracking app
- 4:00pm 10/22/18Meetings — Tuesday, Oct. 23, 2018
- 4:00pm 10/22/18SUNY Potsdam names Rome native and RFA grad as new vice president for advancement
- 4:00pm 10/22/18Union endorses McEvoy in 101st district