Barn fire kills three pigs
WESTMORELAND — Three pigs were killed in a barn fire on West Carter Road Sunday afternoon.
Fire officials said a passerby discovered the blaze at 6909 W. Carter Road at about 4:22 p.m. Owner Bryan Nelson was not home at the time, officials said. The farm is located just west of Route 233.
“It was fully involved” when fire crews arrived on the scene, said Fire Chief Jeff Grube.
Three pigs were lost in the fire, while the family’s cows and chickens were able to escape, he stated. Some farm equipment was also destroyed in the blaze. Grube said the volunteers launched a “surround and down” exterior attack on the fire. The flames were knocked down in about 45 minutes.
The cause of the fire is under investigation, he said.
The Westmoreland, Stanwix Heights, Clark Mills, Clinton and Verona fire departments responded, with Vernon and Oriskany on standby.
- 4:00pm 08/18/18RACC wraps up Artletics program
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Former Roman named president of state Funeral Directors Association
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Public hearing on tax levy in Oneida on Tuesday
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Planet Fitness in Rome to completely modernize and remodel
- 4:00pm 08/18/18RPD holds Kops 4 Kids cookout
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Firemen's Field named after Prosser
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Adirondack Scenic Railroad launches rail bike excursions
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Madison County deputies probe fatal crash
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Crash sends three to hospital as driver tries to avoid deer
- 4:00pm 08/18/18AmeriCU honored with award