Robert W. Coffin
Accused killer back in court Suppression hearing set for Jan. 24
Pre-trial motions were addressed in County Court this morning for murder suspect Robert W. Coffin.
Coffin, 35, of an address given as 702 W. Bloomfield St., pleaded not guilty before Judge Robert L. Bauer to felony counts of second-degree murder and second-degree criminal possession of a weapon in October. Bauer scheduled a pre-trial suppression hearing for 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 24.
During today’s Sandoval and Ventimiglia/Molineux hearing, Judge Bauer discussed what evidence would be allowed at trial. Bauer granted a motion by Public Defender Kurt Schultz for the District Attorney’s Office to release police and arrest reports related to the case, as well as a list of those interviewed by law enforcement and a review of grand jury statements. A motion for a “suppression of statements” made by Coffin was denied “at this time,” the judge said.
Until his Oct. 24 arraignment, the suspect had been in the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service since his Sept. 1 arrest on a fugitive from justice warrant. He is accused of shooting Thomas E. Shepherd III, 25, twice in the face while in the parking lot behind Sammy G’s bar, located in the 400 block of Woodrow Ave. just before 3:30 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 19.
Coffin was on the run for nearly two weeks before being apprehended by marshals while getting off a bus in Las Vegas that had come from Colorado. The suspect was found in possession of a firearm at the time, law enforcement said. It has still not been confirmed whether it was the murder weapon.
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Only few small hurdles remain for Strough reopening
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Dozens attend area forum on hate crimes
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Officials hail completion of ‘transformative’ Griffiss Parkway
- 4:00pm 08/15/18$2M state grant aims to boost high-tech business
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Beware of new IRS scam
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Yorkville man indicted by grand jury in stabbing death
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Kids Oneida, Children’s Museum to hold block party Thursday
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Meetings — Thursday, Aug. 16, 2018
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Public Safety Logs — Aug. 15, 2018
- 4:00pm 08/15/18R-CATS fundraiser Tuesday at Wendy’s