Accident claims life of area teenager, law enforcers report
TOWN OF SANGERFIELD — A Waterville teenager was killed and another teen was injured when their vehicle crashed into a tree on Mason Road very early Saturday morning, according to a report by area law enforcers.
State police said they were dispatched to Mason Road, southwest of Waterville, at about 1:26 a.m. Saturday after a nearby resident said she heard someone calling for help.
Troopers said they found a 1997 Ford pickup truck crashed into a tree on the east side of the road.
The driver, 16-year-old Jonathan A. Beach, of Waterville, was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.
The passenger, 18-year-old Michael T. Woods, of Oriskany Falls, was trapped in the vehicle and was waving his arms outside the window yelling for help, troopers stated.
Woods was extricated by rescue personnel and was air-lifted to University Hospital in Syracuse for leg injuries, the law enforcers said.
The investigation into the crash is continuing, the state police added.
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Zoning dispute becomes heated in Lee
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Trucker pleads guilty to lying to state in Workers’ Comp case
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Rome Police nab wanted man
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Area officials blast Cuomo comment
- 4:00pm 08/16/18City seeks applicants for arena work
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Community Foundation awards over $1.4M in grants to area organizations
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Movies — Aug. 16, 2018
- 4:00pm 08/16/18Public Safety Logs — Aug. 16, 2018
- 12:00pm 08/16/18District outlines new school supplies decision
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Only few small hurdles remain for Strough reopening