Accident claims life of area teenager, law enforcers report
TOWN OF SANGERFIELD — A Waterville teenager was killed and another teen was injured when their vehicle crashed into a tree on Mason Road very early Saturday morning, according to a report by area law enforcers.
State police said they were dispatched to Mason Road, southwest of Waterville, at about 1:26 a.m. Saturday after a nearby resident said she heard someone calling for help.
Troopers said they found a 1997 Ford pickup truck crashed into a tree on the east side of the road.
The driver, 16-year-old Jonathan A. Beach, of Waterville, was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.
The passenger, 18-year-old Michael T. Woods, of Oriskany Falls, was trapped in the vehicle and was waving his arms outside the window yelling for help, troopers stated.
Woods was extricated by rescue personnel and was air-lifted to University Hospital in Syracuse for leg injuries, the law enforcers said.
The investigation into the crash is continuing, the state police added.
- 4:00pm 10/17/18Clerk gets some backing from lawmakers at budget hearing
- 4:00pm 10/17/18Blood recipients winners in ‘Battle of the Badges’
- 4:00pm 10/17/18Economic panel to hold outreach meeting Oct. 25
- 4:00pm 10/17/18Rome-Area Hunger Walk steps off Sunday
- 4:00pm 10/17/18Drugged driving charged in Lewis County
- 4:00pm 10/17/18Take Back the Night Thursday at City Hall
- 4:00pm 10/17/18Syracuse Stage visits Joy Elementary
- 4:00pm 10/17/18Meetings — Thursday, Oct. 17, 2018
- 4:00pm 10/17/18Madison County man accused of welfare fraud
- 4:00pm 10/17/18Colonial Park to host tribute for its veterans