ARSON OFFER — Rome Police Captain Timothy J. Bates offers a reward for information about an arson at 403 Liberty Gardens last August. From left: Crime Stoppers Executive Director James Glorioso; Fire Captain Michael Liddy; Fire Chief Ronald Brement; Bates; County Emergency Services Director Kevin Revere; County Arson Task Force Chairman Edward Schmidt; and Sheriff’s Lt. James Paravati. (Sentinel photo by John Clifford)
$1,500 reward seeks information in arson case
A reward of up to $1,500 is being offered for information into an arson fire at the Liberty Gardens apartment complex.
Police Captain Timothy J. Bates said the fire in the bedroom at 403 Liberty Gardens on Aug. 20 was intentionally set.
No one was home at the time of the fire, shortly before midnight, and firefighters knocked it down quickly.
“Thankfully, no one was hurt,” Bates said about the fire. “But this entire building was occupied by families who were put in grave, grave danger.”
Bates said there were “very few” leads as to who started the fire, so now the police department is turning to the public for help.
“Someone in this community, perhaps someone in this apartment complex, has information that can help us solve this case,” Bates said today.
The Oneida County Arson Task Force has teamed up with Mohawk Valley Crime Stoppers to offer a reward of up to $1,500 for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for setting the fire, officials said.
Anyone with information into the arson can provide an anonymous tip from the website www.mohawkvalleycrimestoppers or by calling Crime Stoppers at 1-866-730-8477.
All tips are kept completely anonymous.
- 4:10pm 05/22/17‘Exceptional’ officers lauded
- 4:00pm 05/22/17Family fun at the Rick LeFevre Fishing Derby
- 4:00pm 05/22/17Izzo announces dates for second season of ‘Walk with the Mayor’
- 4:00pm 05/22/17Opening day at Fort Rickey Children’s Discovery Zoo
- 4:00pm 05/22/17Local students among ‘Farming Your Future’ participants
- 4:00pm 05/22/17Pre-licensing class Saturday
- 4:00pm 05/22/17Man, 62, charged with fraud for having untaxed cigarettes
- 4:00pm 05/22/17Troopers investigate explosion at motel in Town of Lenox
- 4:00pm 05/22/17Pair of MVCC students receive awards in research, writing, college says
- 4:00pm 05/22/17Council poised to approve $2.2M bond for road work