Make sure pets are also active during the cold months
Now that the winter weather is upon us we need to find ways to keep our dogs active and healthy.
The dogs who would usually spend quite a bit of time outside running around and playing in the warm weather will be spending their time inside instead.
We as “pet parents” need to find ways for them to have fun and to keep them busy. There are some fun ways to keep them active and stimulated.
Since dogs are less active in the winter, make their meal time fun by feeding them using a feeding toy or puzzle dish. This allows them to eat slower and gives them a challenge to stimulate their mind.
Find games you can play indoors or adapt your outside games to be played indoors. Make sure you have the space you need and play a game of fetch with a soft toy. If they like playing tug with rope toys that is something you can do indoors. They will be getting some exercise without them getting too rambunctious.
Make treat time more interesting by using treat dispensing toys. Try a game of hide and seek by hiding treats around the house and letting them have fun finding them.
Try replacing treats with healthier options such as chopped up carrots or by using pieces of their food.
Take them on adventures by taking them with you whenever possible. Take them to the pet store with you, pet friendly coffee shops or to visit family or friends.
There are some wonderful dogs and cats waiting at the Humane Society of Rome who would love to find a new family and a warm comfy forever home to spend the cold winter days. Stop in and meet them, maybe the one you are look into for is there waiting for you.
Two of these sweeties are:
• Bongo is a 1-year-old male, American Pit Bull Terrier Mix. He has lots of love to give and will make a wonderful addition to any family. Come meet and fall in love with him today.
• Grace is a sweet 10-year-old kitty who needs a home. She would prefer to be the only cat. Come in and meet this gorgeous cat who would love to get out of the shelter and into her new home soon.
- 9:00am 10/21/18Rome author pens children’s book
- 9:00am 10/21/18‘Mums’ the word — Embrace chrysanthemems this fall!
- 9:00am 10/21/18Meet Jasper, the Humane Society Shelter’s official ‘babysitter’
- 9:00am 10/21/18Benefit to help with medical expenses for baby battling cancer
- 9:00am 10/21/18The last race of the year