Consider adoption during National Adopt a Shelter Dog Month
Are you thinking about adding to your family by adopting a dog?
October is a good month to do it, actually any month is a great time to adopt but since October is National Adopt A Shelter Dog Month, it makes it even more special.
National Adopt A Shelter Dog Month was established to not only encourage people to adopt shelter dogs, but to raise awareness about shelter animals.
Dogs make wonderful pets, they are always happy to see you and they love you unconditionally.
There are so many dogs waiting in shelters to find forever homes or to find that special person or family to share their lives with. There are dogs of all shapes, sizes and breeds in shelters so no matter what you are looking for, you should be able to find a dog to fit into your family.
If you are looking for a specific breed, you may want to try looking for one at a breed specific rescue.
There are other ways to celebrate National Adopt A Shelter Dog Month and help shelters and the animals in their care.
Since overpopulation is a problem in shelters you could not only make sure your pets are spayed and neutered, but you can also get the word out on how important it is for others to get their pets spayed and neutered.
Also make sure your dog has an ID tag or is microchipped so if they do get lost they will find their way home and not end up in a shelter.
Most shelters rely on donations to help them keep the shelter up and running and to care for the animals.
There are other ways you can help out your local shelter besides adopting. You can become a volunteer, helping out at the shelter or with off-site adoption events.
You can also donate items from their wish list that they may need such as food, litter, toys, cleaning supplies or office supplies.
The shelter staff and the animals will appreciate your thoughtfulness.
The Humane Society of Rome has some sweet dogs and cats who are looking for forever homes.
Why not stop down and meet them? Maybe you’ll meet your new family. A couple of the sweeties are:
• Debo is a 3-year-old male Pit Bull Terrier mix who needs a permanent home. He will make some lucky family a great companion. Won’t you give him a chance for a home?
• Tommy Boy is a 7-year-old male cat. He’s looking for a loving new family to adore. If that sounds good to you, come on down and meet him today.
- 9:00am 01/21/18Project Fibonacci garners additional acclaim on Science Channel show
- 9:00am 01/21/18Group to promote Utica during All-Star Weekend
- 9:00am 01/21/18Yesterday and today in the wind
- 9:00am 01/21/18Morrisville to host ‘Global Game Jam’
- 9:00am 01/21/18Owner-surrendered pooch Coco is in need of new home