Canines who served alongside armed forces recognized in March
Dogs have fought alongside American forces in every conflict since the Revolutionary War, but have only been officially recognized since WWII.
There are more than 2,500 active military K9 today. They are trained in bomb, weapon and drug detection, for tracking, and to attack the enemy.
K9 Veterans Day was started by Vietnam War veteran, K9 handler and trainer Joe White of Jacksonville, Fla.
K9 Veterans Day is celebrated on March 13 which is the official birthday of the U.S. Army K9 Corps, which was formed in 1942.
Since that day the dogs officially became a part of military service. This includes K9s working for Border Patrol, Customs, police, Secret Service, Airport Service and the FBI who work daily to save and protect Americans and the homeland.
Because of their service and sacrifice to our armed forces, dogs have earned outstanding records in combat overseas including K9 Medals of Honor, Medals of Courage and campaign ribbons.
Military dogs are traditionally non-commissioned officers, one rank higher than their handler. After Military K9 retire they are adopted by their handler or into other loving homes.
The staff and volunteers at the Humane Society of Rome appreciate and honor the service and sacrifice of these amazing dogs.
Though they may not be military working dogs, the wonderful dogs at the Humane Society of Rome as well as their kitty friends are ready to find a loving family to take care of and love. Two of these sweet animals are:
• Apache is a 2-year-old American Pit Bull Terrier Mix.
He is a a sweet dog who loves attention, cuddles and he freely give kisses. He has lots of toys and he amuses himself throughout the day playing with them, the more the better.
He would like to let you know that he needs to be the only animal in the household. Won’t you come and look at him? He would like to play with his toys with you.
• Gigi is a 2-year-old female kitty who needs a home. If you have room in your heart and home for a cat who will reward you with lots of love and affection, then please consider adding Gigi to your family.
- 6:00am 03/16/18Seven things to do in the Rome region this week
- 9:00am 03/11/18Irish eyes smiling as events gear up
- 9:00am 03/11/18Plenty to consider as you plan your new vegetable garden
- 9:00am 03/11/18Sangertown Square to host annual Baby Fest