Be sure to celebrate ‘Be Kind to Animals Week’
Be Kind to Animals Week is May 7-11. It was initiated by American Humane in 1915. The annual event is a celebration of the unique bond between people and animals.
Not that we need a special week to be kind to animals. We should be kind to them every day. Here are a few ways to show kindness to animals:
• Support Animal Adoption. What could be kinder than adopting a pet from a shelter or rescue? Shelter pets make loving lifetime companions. Most shelters will do their best to match the right pet with the right family.
• Report animal abuse. If you see something, say something. Animals can’t speak for themselves, they count on us to be their voice.
• Spay and neuter your pets. Pet overpopulation is a big problem and there aren’t enough homes for all the puppies and kittens that are born each year.
Spaying and neutering your pet will help eliminate unwanted pregnancies, and help lower the number of cats and dogs that end up in shelters, and the the number that are euthanized because of overpopulation also.
• Make a donation. Most shelters and rescues rely on donations to take care of all the animals in their care.
Monetary donations are greatly appreciated, but there are always other items that are needed on a daily basis to run shelters. Most shelters have a wish list that is usually available on their website, or you could contact them and they would be happy to let you know what items they may need at the moment.
• Volunteer at a shelter. Shelter animals enjoy the company, they love to be loved on or taken for walks. It gives them a break from being stuck in their kennel even if it’s only for a short time.
• Humane education. Start teaching children how to properly treat and handle animals at a young age. Help them become educated and empathetic pet parents.
If you are looking for a new family member stop in at the Humane Society of Rome. They have some sweet adorable dogs and cats waiting for you to fall in love with them and give them a new home. A couple of these sweet animals are:
• Jerry is a 12-year-old American Pit Bull Terrier Mix. He loves everyone and everything. He would love to have a home, whether it is with kids or other animals to live out his golden years. Come and meet him. A senior dog like him doesn’t belong in a shelter.
• Pugsley is a handsome 3-year-old cat who is looking for a home. He is a pretty cool cat. He would love to chill out in a home that’s pretty quiet.
Climbing up on the cat trees is his favorite activity, it keeps him pretty agile. Do you have a cat tree ready for him in your home? Stop by the humane society and meet him today.
- 9:00am 10/14/18Rome man grateful to be alive
- 9:00am 10/14/18Wild turkey pic
- 9:00am 10/14/18RACC honors volunteers with dinner, brick display
- 9:00am 10/14/18Lead actor makes ‘Venom’ watchable
- 9:00am 10/14/18Autumn is great time to prepare your lawn for winter, spring