Tenney co-sponsors STOP School Violence Act legislation
Rep. Claudia L. Tenney has co-sponsored the Student, Teachers, and Officers Preventing (STOP) School Violence Act.
This bipartisan bill reauthorizes and amends the 2001 Secure Our Schools program through the Department of Justice’s Bureau of Justice Assistance, providing local law enforcement, school personnel and students with tools to “proactively prevent a threat,” noted Tenney, R-22, New Hartford in an announcement.
“Communities and law enforcement must work together to prevent violence and tragedy like we saw in Parkland, Fla. from occurring in the future. This starts with ensuring law enforcement has the resources to invest in early intervention and prevention programs,” said Tenney. “This legislation will provide resources to properly train students, teachers, school officials and local law enforcement how to identify and intervene when signs of violence arise. The STOP School Violence Act of 2018 is a vital first step towards keeping our schools and children safe.”
The legislation authorizes funding for:
- Evidence-based investments in the development and operation of FBI and Secret Service-based school threat assessment teams to help schools to intake and triage threats.
- Implementation of anonymous reporting systems for students in coordination with local law enforcement.
- Training and technical assistance for students, school personnel and law enforcement to identify signs of violence and intervene early to prevent students from hurting themselves and others.
- Facilitating coordination between schools and local law enforcement.
- Measures at the discretion of the Director of the Bureau of Justice Assistance that may provide significant improvement in school security.
RMH pharmacist earns additional certification
Warden named director of Behavioral Medicine for MWHS
Hurd assigned as stroke outreach nurse
Doctor draws attention to Brain Injury Awareness Month
- 4:00pm 03/17/18Commonality in shared faith
- 4:00pm 03/17/18‘Colors of Grace’ Cantata Sunday
- 4:00pm 03/17/18Waterbury Memorial Presbyterian Church lists special services
- 4:00pm 03/17/18Fashionable spring topic of luncheon
- 4:00pm 03/17/18Gospel Services start Tuesday
- 4:00pm 03/17/18Verona church offers free meal
- 4:00pm 03/17/18Women’s club meets Thursday
- 4:00pm 03/17/18Church offers Palm Sunday meal
- 4:00pm 03/10/18The cross, a Lenten sign of God’s love
- 4:00pm 03/10/18Community prayer vigil Tuesday in Canastota