Tenney bill on congressional pensions gets Taxpayers Union plug
Congresswoman Claudia Tenney’s bill to block public pension payments to members of Congress convicted of crime is at the top of a list by the National Taxpayer’s Union of 2018 “No-Brainer” legislation.
Tenney’s HR 4314, named the No Pensions For Corrupt Politicians Act, was No. 1 on a 10-item list published Thursday by the group.
Tenney introduced the bill on Nov. 8 last year. It was referred to the Committee on House Administration, and in addition to the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, according to congress.gov.
National Taxpayers Union Federal Affairs Director Nan Swift said in a statement from Tenney that the bill would close certain loopholes that allow members of Congress to receive a congressional pension even after having been convicted of a crime.
It’s similar to a state-level bill Tenney introduced when she was in the New York Assembly. The New Hartford Republican also cosponsored an Assembly bill that would move public officials from a public pension plan to a defined-benefit contribution plan. Such plans are more common in the private sector.
“The job of a public official is to advocate for their communities and constituents, not benefit from the office they hold,” Tenney said. “Any elected official who betrays the public’s trust and is convicted of corruption should immediately have their pension revoked.”
Our no brainer bill, No Pensions for Corrupt Politicians Act, will end a loophole that benefits political elites at the expense of hardworking taxpayers.”
Rome Community Theater to present six one-act plays
New hours for church Clothing Closet
Surgical specialists, sleep medicine practices moving
Free breastfeeding class Oct. 17 at RMH
- 4:00pm 10/15/18New hours for church Clothing Closet
- 4:00pm 10/13/18Consequences for our choices
- 4:00pm 10/13/18Trinity Community Coffee House hosts The Cadleys Oct. 20
- 4:00pm 10/13/18Octoberfeast in Holland Patent
- 4:00pm 10/13/18Dan Schall performs Oct. 21
- 4:00pm 10/13/18Augusta church hosts Old Home Days Service
- 4:00pm 10/13/18Ladies luncheon Thursday in Canastota
- 4:00pm 10/13/18AREA CHURCH SERVICES
- 4:00pm 10/08/18Harvest of Faith set for Tuesday
- 4:00pm 10/06/18United Church of Canastota to hold chicken barbecue