Tenney backs funding for legal aid for poor
Rep. Claudia L. Tenney has urged the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science and Related Agencies to continue funding Legal Services Corp.
She joined 148 of her colleagues in authoring a letter to outline the importance of its services.
“LSC is the largest funding mechanism of civil legal aid for low-income Americans in the nation, and the elimination of LSC’s funding would be detrimental for our most vulnerable citizens,” said Tenney, R-22.
“LSC provides critically important legal services to low and middle-income families and individuals in the 22nd District,” Tenney said.
“As an attorney who has provided pro bono legal counsel to people through the legal aid program, I have seen the importance of these services firsthand, and I have consistently opposed elimination or any proposed cuts to LSC,” she added.
Last September, Tenney joined LSC President Jim Sandman at the Legal Aid Society of Mid-New York’s office in Utica where she urged the retention of funding and voiced her support.
LSC provides assistance to military families and veterans, those affected by opioids and addiction, victims of natural disasters, rural residents, domestic violence survivors, families with children, homeowners and renters, the disabled, the elderly and many others across the country.
Catholic Daughters aid hospital's Maternity Ward
Root Farm begins second year of Community Supported Agriculture
Utica Summer Fest start tonight
Levitt Music Series starts June 25 in Utica
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Bartlett Baptist marks 200 years, pastor’s retirement
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Small acts can help grow Kingdom of God
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Women meet for brunch Thursday
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Heart Touching Tour stops in Oriskany Sunday
- 4:00pm 06/16/18Club hosts author Elaine Miller
- 4:00pm 06/09/18God calls on us to embrace our capabilities
- 4:00pm 06/09/18Magic show, potluck Sunday
- 4:00pm 06/09/18Children’s Day celebration Sunday
- 4:00pm 06/09/18Film screening Tuesday
- 4:00pm 06/09/18Strawberry shortcake on menu in Steuben