County hearing draws sole speaker
The Oneida County Board of Legislators’ first public hearing on the $407.8 million budget the county executive has proposed for 2018 drew only one taker on Wednesday.
April Bliss, director of Dunham Public Library, Whitesboro, turned out to express appreciation for the county’s continued financial support of libraries.
“I just wanted to say thank you,” she said during her remarks in the legislative chamber in the County Office Building.
In her brief comments, she told the legislators that libraries serve as community centers. “And thank you for realizing that we’re important,” said Bliss.
County Executive Anthony J. Picente Jr. proposes $744,141 in direct contributions to the 22 libraries in the county and the Mid York Library System next year. This amount is the same as this year. In addition, Picente said in his budget address that the county will work with the library system on three programs next year. They are: digital and ebook collections; books for babies; and free books for summer reading initiatives.
There will be two more chances for the public to give their views on the spending plan before legislators adopt a spending plan. Picente proposes no increase in the amount of money collected in property taxes in 2018.
The remaining two public hearings are: Nov. 2, 7 p.m., Rome Courthouse; and Nov. 6, 7 p.m., County Office Building Utica. The Board of Legislators is expected to adopt a budget at its Nov. 8 meeting.
Places of Rome Calendars benefit historical society
Ornament workshop at View Monday
Toddler and Me art class Friday
Holiday Hoot event at Utica Zoo Saturday
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Holiday brunch Tuesday at Hart’s Hill Inn
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Adirondack Community Chorus performs ‘Hope!’ concert Dec. 17
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Catholic Daughters donate to Loaves and Fishes
- 4:00pm 12/09/17STAND ALONE PIC 2017-12-07_LOC_durhamville_Baptist.jpg
- 4:00pm 12/09/17RSVP Senior Readers Group
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Women’s club meets Thursday
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Queen Village Christmas Dec. 16
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Concert Friday aids International Christian Centers for the Deaf
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Annual Choir Day Sunday
- 4:00pm 12/09/17Floyd church offers cookies