Three appear in court accused of making fake bomb threats
Three men accused of making fake bomb threats appeared in County Court this month: two denied the accusations and one was ruled incompetent.
¿ Albert Duffy, 49, of 16 Park Row, Clinton, was ruled not competent to stand trial on a charge of planting a false bomb. Duffy appeared before Judge Michael L. Dwyer on May 3. He was committed for one year at a mental health facility.
Authorities said on Feb. 21, Duffy made a fake bomb out of road flares, clear tubing and wire, and left the device and several ominous handwritten notes in his room at the Scottish Inn on Genesee Street in Utica.
¿ Mark Thomas, 30, of 3608 Snowden Hill Road, New Hartford, pleaded not guilty before Judge Barry M. Donalty May 3 to placing a false bomb. His case was adjourned for report to May 17.
The indictment said on March 15, Thomas parked his car outside the emergency room at St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Utica and announced that the suspicious package in his vehicle was a bomb.
¿ Jason Willson, 32, of 608 McClanathan Ave., Sylvan Beach, pleaded not guilty before Judge Dwyer May 4 to falsely reporting an incident. His case was adjourned for report to May 11.
The indictment said on March 8, Willson pulled the fire alarm at the Utica Memorial Auditorium and reported a bomb threat in the middle of a hockey game. The indictment said more than 100 people were in attendance, and Willson’s threat drew the Utica Fire Department and other emergency responders.
Also in County Court:
¿ Stephen LaClaire, 20, of 108 Weaver Road, Dolgeville, pleaded not guilty before Judge Donalty May 9 to one count of second-degree rape. His case was adjourned for report to May 22.
Authorities said LaClaire had sex with a child less than 15-years-old when he lived in Rome last fall. He was taken into custody on March 23 after the victim came forward.
¿ Former state trooper Jesse C. Miller, 31, of Fairview Heights, Utica, pleaded not guilty before Judge Donalty May 9 to two counts of third-degree assault and one count each of third and fourth-degree mischief, and second-degree trespass. His case was adjourned to May 23.
Authorities said Miller was off-duty when kicked in the door at 27 Beverly Place Utica at about 12:18 a.m. Dec. 31 and attacked the homeowner inside. Authorities said Miller bit the homeowner, and the homeowner struck Miller in the head with a hammer to defend himself. Eventually the fight spilled outside.
Defense attorney Les Lewis has claimed that Miller had been out drinking at a local bar, and was so drunk that he believed he had arrived at his own home.
Miller was initially suspended from the state police, then later resigned.
¿ Craig T. Eichhorn, 25, of 8042 New Floyd Road, Floyd, was sentenced by Judge Donalty May 7 to 50 hours of community service, five years probation, was ordered to pay $2,750 in restitution and $250 in court fees on a charge of petty larceny.
The indictment said between May 1, 2011 and Aug. 14, Eichhorn stole lottery tickets from My Favorite Muffin on River Road in Marcy.
¿ Peter J. Pisciotta Jr., 21, of 218 W. Thomas St., was sentenced by Judge Dwyer May 7 to 60 days in jail, three years probation, 100 hours of community service and was ordered to pay $250 in court fees on a charge of third-degree burglary.
State police said Pisciotta was caught stealing pipes and scrap metal from a state-owned barn on Hoag Road at about 2:07 p.m. Aug. 29. The barn was part of the Mohawk Correctional Facility.
¿ Joshua A. Rowlands, 24, of 107 Anthony Lane, Clinton, pleaded guilty before Judge Dwyer May 4 to second-degree burglary. His case was adjourned for sentencing to June 18.
According to court documents, Rowlands entered a residence on West Bacon Street in Waterville to commit a larceny on Nov. 17.
¿ Thomas H. Stabb, 33, of 145 Garfield Ave., Oneida, was sentenced by Judge Donalty May 8 to 1 1/2 to three years in prison and was ordered to pay $375 in court fees on a charge of attempted third-degree robbery.
The indictment said on Jan. 20, Stabb tried to steal cash from a woman in Utica.
¿ Christina Cobb, 25, of 206 Mann St., Frankfort, pleaded guilty before Judge Donalty May 8 to first-degree identity theft. Her case was adjourned for sentencing to May 17.
The indictment said on Aug. 30, Cobb used another woman’s identity to open an account at Belden’s Jewelers, then ran up a bill of more than $4,000 worth of jewelry.
¿ Crystal Daprano, 30, of 5376 Route 31, Verona, pleaded guilty before Judge Dwyer May 8 to fourth-degree grand larceny, reduced from third-degree. Her case was adjourned for sentencing to June 19.
According to court documents, Daprano illegally received more than $3,000 in unemployment benefits from the state Department of Labor between May and November 2010.
¿ Randi R. Jackson, 30, of 71 Pratt Ave., Clark Mills, was sentenced by Judge Dwyer May 8 to four years in prison, followed by five years probation, and was ordered to pay $21,419.64 in restitution and $375 in court fees on a charge of second-degree burglary.
According to court documents, Jackson broke into a residence on Cooper Street in Westmoreland to commit a larceny on Oct. 6.