Battery or charger suspected in blaze

BOONVILLE — Either a bad battery or a charger caused a blaze that severely damaged an unattached two-stall garage on Lovers Lane Friday night.

Boonville Chief David Pritchard said his department received the alarm for 2753 Lovers Lane at 10:53 p.m. Upon arrival, Pritchard said firefighters encountered heavy smoke and flames were just starting to break through the wall. Forestport Fire Department was called for mutual aid and brought a tanker to the scene.

Flames were knocked down and the fire was deemed under control in about a half hour, Pritchard said.

"The garage is not destroyed. It can be repaired," he said.

Flames spread up one wall and into the ceiling, damaging the wall and some rafters. A hot tub and some household goods stored in the garage were also damaged or destroyed, Pritchard said.

The chief said one of the homeowners informed him that he had some batteries re-charging in a charger plugged into the garage wall. Pritchard said he believes either a battery or the charger shorted, causing the blaze. The home, located at the intersection of Lachausse Road, is owned by Crystal Chaisson, he said.