Last local tax pick-up at 5:45 p.m. but you can file for an extension

Don’t expect any extra time at the post office in Rome today. The office at 110 E. Garden St. has only regular hours today — closing the retail counter at 5 p.m. with last collection at 5:45.

"As long as your return is postmarked by April 17, the (Internal Revenue Service) considers your return filed on time," the Postal Service noted on its website.

The IRS is reminding taxpayers that they can request some extra time to file their return. Here are the options available. For more time to file your return, you can apply for a six-month extension but the deadline to request that extension is today. The extension allows for extra time to get paperwork to the IRS, but it does not extend the time to pay any tax due. Taxpayers will owe interest on any amount not paid by the deadline, plus possible penalties.

To get an extension: use the Traditional Free File and Free File Fillable Forms at, use IRS e-file to request an extension by using tax preparation software on your own computer or by going to a tax preparer, mail in IRS Form 4868 Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (must be postmarked by April 17, 2012.

Taxpayers who are ready to file their returns and those that have already filed and need to pay a tax bill have payment options: file electronically and authorize an electronic funds withdrawal via tax preparation software or a tax professional, pay by phone or online using a credit card, or pay by check or money order made payable to the "United States Treasury." Be sure to include your name, address, Social Security number listed first on the tax form, daytime telephone number, tax year and form number. Complete and include Form 1040-V, Payment Voucher, when mailing your payment to the IRS.

If you owe tax with your federal tax return, but can’t afford to pay it all when you file, the IRS has options to help keep interest and penalties to a minimum. File a return on time and pay as much as possible, then:

¿ Use the Online Payment Agreement application at or by file Form 9465 Installment Agreement Request with your return.The IRS charges a user fee to set up your payment agreement.

¿ Request a short additional time to pay your tax in full using the Online Payment Agreement application on Taxpayers who request and are granted an additional 120 days to pay the tax in full generally will pay less in penalties and interest than if the debt were repaid through an installment agreement over a greater period of time. There is no fee for this short extension of time to pay.

¿ Qualifying individuals may request an extension of time to pay and have late payment penalties waived as part of the IRS Fresh Start initiative. To see if you qualify visit and get Form 1127-A, Application for Extension of Time for Payment. This application must be filed by April 17.