Fine, reduced charges for accused stalker

A 38-year-old man was ordered to pay $600 in fines for stalking and harassing his ex-girlfriend.

John K. Bassett, of 605 E. Dominick St., was sentenced by City Court Judge Daniel C. Wilson Wednesday to three days in jail, ordered to pay $600 in fines and was granted a one-year conditional discharge on one count each of disorderly conduct, reduced from fourth-degree mischief, and second-degree contempt. Charges of fourth-degree stalking and second-degree harassment were dismissed.

Police said at 6:50 a.m. July 13, Bassett pulled up behind his ex-girlfriend’s vehicle while she was driving on Erie Boulevard West. Police said Bassett shouted at her, drove up alongside of her vehicle, threw something at the rear window and caused it to shatter. The woman told police that Bassett drove away when she pulled up to the Justice Building.

Police said between July 13 and 26, Bassett continued this sort of behavior around his 33-year-old ex-companion. Police said he followed her around the city, both on foot and in a vehicle. The woman told police that Bassett also telephoned and harassed her at work.

An order of protection was filed against Bassett.

Police said at 9:45 p.m. Oct. 26, Bassett drove up alongside his ex-girlfriend’s vehicle on Black River Boulevard and punched the passenger-side window. Police said Bassett pointed his finger to his ex and threatened her.

Also in City Court:

¿ Kimberly A. Dunham, 45, of 8451 W. Thomas St., was ordered to pay a $500 fine on a charge of petty larceny, reduced from grand larceny.

Authorities said between October and November 2009, and then between November 2010 and April 2011, Dunham received $2,290 from the county Department of Social Services, despite the fact that she was living with people who were earning Social Security.

¿ The case of Richard A. Hart, 39, of Rome, charged with third-degree assault, was adjourned in contemplation of dismissal.

Police said at 11:37 p.m. Nov. 5, 2010, Hart repeatedly punched a man in the face in the 200 block of S. James St.