Chamber favors Strough work

The Board of Directors of the Rome Area Chamber of Commerce is supporting the Rome City School District’s efforts to improve the facilities at Strough Middle School.

The chamber board issued a statement Friday evening encouraging the public to vote in favor of the $25.4 million bonding proposal on Tuesday. Board Chair Deborah Adamo said the referendum will allow the school district to make "significant improvements that will modernize the facility, and the project is eligible for 97.8 percent funding by New York State." Local taxpayers would pay for the remaining 2.2 percent, estimated to be $137,130 per year for 15 years.

As pointed out by the district, a home in Rome with an assessed value of $60,000 with a Basic STAR Exemption would see an estimated tax increase of $4.82 per year. "Because the state can change the amount of aid it provides, the Chamber firmly believes that it is important to approve the referendum now to lock-in the financing," she said.

When promoting the attributes of Rome to newcomers and potential employers, the chamber provides extensive information about the community’s assets, including the school system. "The proposal to upgrade and modernize Strough is essential and we urge the voters to approve the referendum based on today’s costs rather than at future costs that might not include the same state funding," the statement noted.