Golf tournament to raise funds, awareness for Special Olympics
ONEIDA — The ninth annual Patrick G. Marley Golf Tournament will be held Saturday, Aug. 18 at the Kanon Valley Country Club in Oneida.
Over 140 golfers will attend the sold out tournament in remembrance of Patrick Marley and in the hopes of raising awareness for individuals with intellectual disabilities, as well as funding to benefit the athletes of Special Olympics New York.
Patrick Marley passed away on July 18, 2008.
To honor their son’s memory and share his love of golf with the community, his family began the Patrick G. Marley Golf Tournament in 2009 and has continued this event annually.
Over the years, the Marley family has raised over $77,000 in support of local organizations.
This year the family chose Special Olympics New York as the tournament’s benefactor.
“What an incredible honor for Special Olympics New York to have been chosen to receive the proceeds from the Patrick G. Marley Golf Tournament this year,” said Stacey Hengsterman, president and CEO of Special Olympics New York.
“We are grateful to have the Marley family’s support of our mission which allows athletes to showcase their talents and abilities, while improving self-
esteem, developing social interactions and enhancing leadership skills on and off the playing field,” Hengsterman added.
Born in New Hartford in 1973 to Edwin “Ozzie” and Carolyn Ann Marley, Patrick graduated New Hartford High School in 1991 and went on to assist his parents at the Kids Market Fruit & Vegetable Stand.
He was also employed at Oneida Limited and International Wire Group.
His hobbies included playing darts, billiards and bowling, but he found the most joy in playing golf with his family and friends, according to the announcement about the golf tournament.
Washington Mills MVHS adds nurse practitioner
New doctor at Costello Eye Physicians
September is Peripheral Arterial Disease Awareness Month
Take action to protect your health
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Understanding salvation is fundamental to spiritual growth
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Grace Union marks 129th anniversary
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Church to host Harvest Dinner
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Dinner, dancing in Westmoreland
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Retreat House offers First Friday Day of Prayer
- 11:28am 09/18/18AREA CHURCH SERVICES
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Fall, football, and the armor of God
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Delta Lake Christian Music Fest Sept. 22
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Harvest Fair lunch Tuesday
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Bible study starts Sept. 19 in Rome