NATIONAL HONORS — From left, Elijah Beers age 5, First Place with a 171/2” sunflower; Kiley Emanuelli, 3, First Place with 102 pound pumpkin; Griffin Pritchard, 7, Third Place with a 643/4 pound pumpkin and Second Place with a 17” sunflower and his sister Delaney Pritchard, 9, Second Place with 94 pound pumpkin and Third Place with 141/4” sunflower. Standing with the winners is Gardeners of Rome President Debbie Evans. (Photo submitted)
Young gardeners receive national honors
Every spring the Gardeners of Rome gives out seeds for children 5-15 years old to participate in the Giant Pumpkin/Big Sunflower Contest. Oct. 1 the winners were announced. They were honored in a ceremony at the group’s monthly meeting on Oct. 24.
The winners can then submit the results to participate in the National Contest with the Gardeners of America/ Men’s Garden Clubs of America. This year the following local children received national honors:
- Elijah Beers, son of Tanya Beers, age 5, First Place with a 17 1/2” sunflower
- Kiley Emanuelli, son of Todd and Kristin Emanuelli, age 3, First Place with 102 pound pumpkin
- Griffin Pritchard, age 7, Third Place with a 64 3/4 pound pumpkin and Second Place with a 17” sunflower
- Delaney Pritchard, age 9, Second Place with 94 pound pumpkin and Third Place with 14 1/4” sunflower.
Griffin and Delaney Pritchard are the children of Bradley and Lisa Pritchard, and great-grandchildren of Baden Mudge. Mudge was a club member from 1954 until his passing this past November.
He ran the contest and promoted youth gardening for decades.
Solid Waste Authority offers tips to ‘green’ your summer
Herb and Flower Festival Saturday
Master gardeners list classes
Recycling Day at Jervis May 24
- 4:00pm 09/08/17Madison County Hop Fest Sept. 16
- 4:00pm 09/08/17Cornell Cooperative Extension offers QuickBooks for Farmers class
- 4:00pm 09/08/17Garden club tours historic site Wednesday
- 4:00pm 09/01/17Sign-up now for Hop Fest events
- 4:00pm 08/25/17Foothills Rural Community Ministry announces September hours
- 4:00pm 08/25/17Annual Garden Auction Monday
- 4:00pm 08/11/17Drought Atlas aims to help area farmers
- 4:00pm 08/11/17Master Gardeners offer workshops
- 4:00pm 07/28/17Garden club meets Aug. 7
- 4:00pm 07/28/17Sign-up for August Food $en$e today