Sign-up for March Food $en$e Feb. 23
Registration for the March Food $en$e program — open to everyone regardless of income — will be held at United Methodist churches in Rome and Lee Center, the First Baptist Church in Rome, and the Presbyterian Church in Holland Patent.
Food $en$e is a discount food program provided by the Central New York Food Bank. Everyone is welcome to participate. There are no income guidelines. The $20.50 per unit cost is payable at the time of registration by cash or food stamps. Multiple units can be purchased. There are also extras which can be purchased with or without the basic unit. Signups are scheduled at:
• First United Methodist Church, 400 N. George St.: registration from noon to 2 p.m. Feb. 23, and from noon- 1 p.m. Sunday, March 11.
Registrations, for pickup at First United Methodist, will also be accepted from 10 a.m. to noon, Tuesdays and Thursdays, through Thursday, March 8, in the First Baptist Church, 301 W. Embargo St. The food may be picked up Friday, March 23, between noon and 2 p.m. in First United Methodist Church. Sign-ups for the following month will also be accepted when picking up food. For information, call 315-336-1740.
• At the Lee Center United Methodist Church, 5531 Lee Center-Taberg Road, registration from 1 to 3 p.m. Feb. 23, and from 7-8 p.m. Tuesday, March 6. The food may be picked up Friday, March 23, at the church. For information, call Lee Center United Methodist Church at 315-336-0742 or 315-358-4150.
• Foothills Rural Community Ministry, Presbyterian Church, Holland Patent (across from the park just off Route 365). Registration is Feb. 23, from 12:30 and 2 p.m. or Feb. 24, between 10 a.m. and noon. The food may be picked up between 12:30 and 2 p.m. Friday, March 23 or between 10 a.m. and noon Saturday, March 24. (Frozen foods will be kept in a freezer for the Saturday pickup).
The March package includes chicken thighs, beef sandwich steaks, Tilapia fillets, shrimp fried rice dinner, breakfast sausage, apple juice, egg noodles, chicken tortilla soup, frozen mixed vegetables, frozen blackberries, and two fresh produce items.
Specials, which may be purchased in addition to the package or separately, are:
- Spiral Ham: 7 lbs. (avg.) for $12 – All-natural hickory smoked spiral ham.
- Stuffed Pork Chops: 2 lbs. for $7.50 – Stuffing includes apples and cranberries.
- Pantry Box: $10 – Includes pancake mix, cereal, spaghetti, spaghetti sauce, mixed vegetables, peanut butter, strawberry spread, tuna fish, beef ravioli, and pineapple tidbits.
- French Fries: 5 lbs. for $4.50
- Whiting Fillets: 2 lbs. for $5 – Individually quick frozen.
- Chicken Tenders: 5 lbs. for $8.25 – Fully cooked
- Hot Pockets: 12/8 oz. sandwiches for $17.50 – Philly Steak with 12 sandwiches per special.
On the net: http://www.foodbankcny.org/our-programs/food-sense-program
22nd annual Herb & Flower Festival June 16
Garden volunteers needed
Cinema hosts documentary, talk on farming
Tips for picking, preserving and even re-planting a Christmas tree
- 4:00pm 06/22/18Root Farm begins second year of Community Supported Agriculture
- 4:00pm 06/09/1822nd annual Herb & Flower Festival June 16
- 4:00pm 06/08/18Garden volunteers needed
- 4:00pm 06/08/18Yard of the Month contest in Sherrill
- 4:00pm 05/25/18Sign-up for June Food $en$e today
- 4:00pm 05/25/18Junior Dairy Leaders graduation slated
- 4:00pm 05/25/18DEC reminds campers to use local firewood
- 4:00pm 05/22/18Put green waste in containers, city reminds residents
- 4:00pm 05/11/18Gardener’s of Rome plant sale May 19
- 4:00pm 05/11/18Sherrill Garden Club sale May 19