Sign-up for June Food $en$e today
Registration for the June Food $en$e program — open to everyone regardless of income — will be held at United Methodist churches in Rome and Lee Center, the First Baptist Church in Rome, and the Presbyterian Church in Holland Patent.
Food $en$e is a discount food program provided by the Central New York Food Bank. Everyone is welcome to participate. There are no income guidelines. The $20.50 per unit cost is payable at the time of registration by cash or food stamps. Multiple units can be purchased. There are also extras which can be purchased with or without the basic unit. Signups are scheduled at:
• First United Methodist Church, 400 N. George St.: registration from noon to 2 p.m. today, May 25, and from noon- 1 p.m. Sunday, June 10.
Registrations, for pickup at First United Methodist, will also be accepted from 10 a.m. to noon, Tuesdays and Thursdays, through Thursday, June 7, in the First Baptist Church, 301 W. Embargo St.
The food may be picked up Friday, June 22, between noon and 2 p.m. in First United Methodist Church. Sign-ups for the following month will also be accepted when picking up food. For information, call 315-336-1740.
• At the Lee Center United Methodist Church, 5531 Lee Center-Taberg Road, registration from 1 to 3 p.m. today, May 25, and from 7-8 p.m. Tuesday, June 5. The food may be picked up Friday, June 22, at the church. For information, call Lee Center United Methodist Church at 315-336-0742 or 315-358-4150.
• Foothills Rural Community Ministry, Presbyterian Church, Holland Patent (across from the park just off Route 365). Registration is today, May 25, from 12:30 and 2 p.m. or May 26 between 10 a.m. and noon. The food may be picked up between 12:30 and 2 p.m. Friday, June 22 or between 10 a.m. and noon Saturday, June 23. (Frozen foods will be kept in a freezer for the Saturday pickup).
The June package includes Beef Sandwich Steaks, Chicken Drumsticks, Breaded Fish Fillets, Ground Turkey, Italian Sausage, Peanut Butter, Fresh Coleslaw, Elbow Macaroni, Frozen Peppers and Onions, Frozen Pineapple Chunks, and two fresh produce items.
Specials, which may be purchased in addition to the package or separately, are:
- Boneless Chicken Breast: 2.5 lbs. for $5 — boneless, skinless, and individually quick frozen.
- Pork Chop Baby Ribs (bone-in): 3 lbs. (avg.) for $8.50
- Produce Box: $15 — The Produce Box includes oranges (4), peaches (4), nectarines (4), redseedless grapes (2 lbs.), cantaloupe (1), and pineapple (1).
- American cheese: 5 lbs. for $10.75 — The sliced cheese is not individually wrapped.
- French Fries: 5 lbs. for $4.50 — Ready to cook and can be used in the oven or fryer.
- Beef Patties: 2 lbs. for $6 — The beef patties are 100% all beef and there are 8 quarter pound patties per special.
- Macaroni & Beef: 4.5 lbs. for $10.50— Family size Stouffer’s product.
On the net: http://www.foodbankcny.org/our-programs/food-sense-program
22nd annual Herb & Flower Festival June 16
Garden volunteers needed
Cinema hosts documentary, talk on farming
Tips for picking, preserving and even re-planting a Christmas tree
- 4:00pm 06/09/1822nd annual Herb & Flower Festival June 16
- 4:00pm 06/08/18Garden volunteers needed
- 4:00pm 06/08/18Yard of the Month contest in Sherrill
- 4:00pm 05/25/18Sign-up for June Food $en$e today
- 4:00pm 05/25/18Junior Dairy Leaders graduation slated
- 4:00pm 05/25/18DEC reminds campers to use local firewood
- 4:00pm 05/22/18Put green waste in containers, city reminds residents
- 4:00pm 05/11/18Gardener’s of Rome plant sale May 19
- 4:00pm 05/11/18Sherrill Garden Club sale May 19
- 4:00pm 05/04/18Holy Cross offers Mother’s Day plant sale