Sign-up for January Food $en$e Dec. 22
Registration for the January Food $en$e program — open to everyone regardless of income — will be held at United Methodist churches in Rome and Lee Center, the First Baptist Church in Rome, and the Presbyterian Church in Holland Patent.
Food $en$e is a discount food program provided by the Central New York Food Bank. Everyone is welcome to participate. There are no income guidelines so it doesn’t matter how much you earn. The $20.50 per unit cost is payable at the time of registration by cash or food stamps. Multiple units can be purchased. There are also extras which can be purchased with or without the basic unit. Signups are scheduled at:
• First United Methodist Church, 400 N. George St.: registration from noon to 2 p.m. Friday, Dec. 22.
Registrations, for pickup at First United Methodist, will also be accepted from 10 a.m. to noon, Tuesdays and Thursdays, through Thursday, Jan. 4, in the First Baptist Church, 301 W. Embargo St. The food may be picked up Friday, Jan. 26, between noon and 2 p.m. in First United Methodist Church. Sign-ups for the following month will also be accepted when picking up food.
For information, call 315-336-1740.
• At the Lee Center United Methodist Church, 5531 Lee Center-Taberg Road, registration from 1 to 3 p.m. Friday, Dec. 22, and from 7-8 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 2. The food may be picked up Friday, Jan. 26, at the church. For information, call Lee Center United Methodist Church at 315-336-0742 or 315-358-4150.
• Foothills Rural Community Ministry, Presbyterian Church, Holland Patent (across from the park just off Route 365). Registration is Friday, Dec. 22, from 12:30 and 2 p.m. or Saturday, Dec. 23, between 10 a.m. and noon. The food may be picked up between 12:30 and 2 p.m. Friday, Jan. 26 or between 10 a.m. and noon Saturday, Jan. 27. (Frozen foods will be kept in a freezer for the Saturday pickup).
The January package includes chicken thighs, Italian meatballs, haddock fillets, Italian sausage, ground turkey, spaghetti sauce, cheese ravioli, pizza (supreme), strawberry and blueberry blend, mixed vegetables, and two fresh produce items.
Specials, which may be purchased in addition to the package or separately, are:
- Chicken breast fritters: 5 lbs. for $1 — breaded and can be used like a boneless chicken wing.
- Stuffed pork chops: 2 lbs. for $7 — stuffed with apples and cranberries.
- Sea scallops: 2 lbs. for $11 — individually quick frozen, there are 30-40 per pound.
- Protein Box: $12 — includes pork tenderloin (1.6 lbs. avg.), chicken drumsticks (3.5 lbs. avg.), ground beef (80/20; 1 lb.), breaded fish sticks (1 lb.), and fresh eggs (1 dozen).
- Mozzarella sticks: 2 lbs. for $6 — ready for the oven.
- Meatloaf: 2 lbs. for $6.75 — made from 100% ground beef.
- Breakfast sausage: 3 lbs. for $7 — made locally in Utica.
On the net: http://www.foodbankcny.org/our-programs/food-sense-program
Cinema hosts documentary, talk on farming
Tips for picking, preserving and even re-planting a Christmas tree
Gardeners of Rome honor contest winners
Siblings take top honors in Gardeners of Rome’s Big Pumpkin, Giant Sunflower contest
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Cornell University reminds residents to think globally, plant locally
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Sign-up for May Food $en$e
- 4:00pm 04/13/18Bonsai workshop Sunday
- 4:00pm 04/13/18Green waste pickup Monday
- 4:00pm 04/12/18Facebook for Farmers workshop April 17
- 4:00pm 04/10/18Green waste pickup to begin Monday for inside district
- 4:00pm 04/06/18Credit union offers home buyers’ workshop
- 4:00pm 03/23/18Gardeners group meets Monday
- 4:00pm 03/16/18Sign-up for April Food $en$e March 23
- 4:00pm 03/09/18Dairy producers meet March 14