Sign-up for August Food $en$e today
Registration for the August Food $en$e program — open to everyone regardless of income — will be held at First United Methodist Church in Rome, Lake Delta Fire Department, the First Baptist Church in Rome, and the Presbyterian Church in Holland Patent.
Food $en$e is a discount food program provided by the Central New York Food Bank. Everyone is welcome to participate. There are no income guidelines. The $20.50 per unit cost is payable at the time of registration by cash or food stamps. Multiple units can be purchased. There are also extras which can be purchased with or without the basic unit. Signups are scheduled at:
• First United Methodist Church, 400 N. George St.: registration from noon to 2 p.m. today, July 27, and from noon- 1 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 12.
Registrations, for pickup at First United Methodist, will also be accepted from 10 a.m. to noon, Tuesdays and Thursdays, through Thursday, Aug. 9, in the First Baptist Church, 301 W. Embargo St.
The food may be picked up Friday, Aug. 24, between noon and 2 p.m. in First United Methodist Church. Sign-ups for the following month will also be accepted when picking up food. For information, call 315-336-1740.
• People participating in the Lee Center United Methodist Church program can pickup July orders and ask about placing August orders on Friday, July 27, from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Lake Delta Fire Department, 8508 Elmer Hill Road. For information, call Lee Center United Methodist Church at 315-336-0742 or 315-358-4150.
• Foothills Rural Community Ministry, Presbyterian Church, Holland Patent (across from the park just off Route 365). Registration is today, July 27, from 12:30 and 2 p.m. or July 28 between 10 a.m. and noon. Orders will also be taken at the Trenton Farmers Market in Holland Patent every Saturday 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
The food may be picked up between 12:30 and 2 p.m. Friday, Aug. 24 or between 10 a.m. and noon Saturday, Aug. 25. (Frozen foods will be kept in a freezer for the Saturday pickup).
The August package includes chicken thighs, beef burgers, cod fillets, kielbasa, ground turkey, cheddar cheese, macaroni salad, peanut butter, frozen cut green beans, frozen strawberries, and two fresh produce items.
Specials, which may be purchased in addition to the package or separately, are:
- Italian Meatballs: 5 lbs. for $12.50 - Fully cooked and in a five pound bag.
- Pork Ribs: 3 lbs. (avg.) for $9 - Bone-in and average three pounds per special.
- American Cheese: 5 lbs. for $10.25 - Not individually wrapped.
- Breaded Shrimp: 3 lbs. for $12.50 - 16-20 shrimp per pound.
- Chicken Breast: 3 lbs. for $6 - Boneless/skinless and individually quick frozen.
- Mozzarella Sticks: 2 lbs. for $6 - Pre-cooked and ready for the oven or fryer.
- Hot Pockets: 24 sandwiches for $17 - Meatball with 24 sandwiches per special.
On the net: http://www.foodbankcny.org/our-programs/food-sense-program
Poop-to-power: Manure separator benefits dairy, generates clean energy
22nd annual Herb & Flower Festival June 16
Garden volunteers needed
Cinema hosts documentary, talk on farming
- 4:00pm 08/03/18July Yards of the Month announced
- 4:00pm 08/03/18NYSAES gets new name: Cornell AgriTech
- 4:00pm 08/03/18Secret Garden Tour Thursday
- 4:00pm 07/27/18Sign-up for August Food $en$e today
- 4:00pm 07/27/18Garden Tour Aug. 9 in Old Forge
- 4:00pm 07/13/18Poop-to-power: Manure separator benefits dairy, generates clean energy
- 4:00pm 07/06/18Solid Waste Authority offers tips to ‘Green’ your summer
- 4:00pm 06/29/18Garden club hosts flower show, luncheon July 9
- 4:00pm 06/22/18Root Farm begins second year of Community Supported Agriculture
- 4:00pm 06/09/1822nd annual Herb & Flower Festival June 16