Sign-up for April Food $en$e March 23
Registration for the April Food $en$e program — open to everyone regardless of income — will be held at United Methodist churches in Rome and Lee Center, the First Baptist Church in Rome, and the Presbyterian Church in Holland Patent.
Food $en$e is a discount food program provided by the Central New York Food Bank. Everyone is welcome to participate. There are no income guidelines. The $20.50 per unit cost is payable at the time of registration by cash or food stamps. Multiple units can be purchased. There are also extras which can be purchased with or without the basic unit. Signups are scheduled at:
• First United Methodist Church, 400 N. George St.: registration from noon to 2 p.m. March 23, and from noon- 1 p.m. Sunday, April 15.
Registrations, for pickup at First United Methodist, will also be accepted from 10 a.m. to noon, Tuesdays and Thursdays, through Thursday, April 12, in the First Baptist Church, 301 W. Embargo St.
The food may be picked up Friday, April 27, between noon and 2 p.m. in First United Methodist Church. Sign-ups for the following month will also be accepted when picking up food. For information, call 315-336-1740.
• At the Lee Center United Methodist Church, 5531 Lee Center-Taberg Road, registration from 1 to 3 p.m. March 23, and from 7-8 p.m. Tuesday, April 3. The food may be picked up Friday, April 27, at the church. For information, call Lee Center United Methodist Church at 315-336-0742 or 315-358-4150.
• Foothills Rural Community Ministry, Presbyterian Church, Holland Patent (across from the park just off Route 365). Registration is March 23, from 12:30 and 2 p.m. or March 24, between 10 a.m. and noon. The food may be picked up between 12:30 and 2 p.m. Friday, April 27 or between 10 a.m. and noon Saturday, April 28. (Frozen foods will be kept in a freezer for the Saturday pickup).
The April package includes chicken breasts, meatballs, Italian sausage, shrimp scampi, veal patties, French bread pizza, spaghetti sauce, spaghetti, frozen cut green beans, canned fruit mix, and two fresh produce items.
Specials, which may be purchased in addition to the package or separately, are:
- Pork roast: 2 lbs. for $6.50 — The pork roast is boneless
- Breaded shrimp: 3 lbs. for $7.50 — Contains 16-20 shrimp per pound
- Meatloaf: 2 lbs. for $6 — Traditional meatloaf made with 100% ground beef
- Mozzarella sticks: 2 lbs. for $6 — Pre-cooked and ready for the oven or fryer
- Stuffed chicken: 2 lbs. for $7.50 — Stuffed with apples and cranberries
- American cheese: 5 lbs. for $10.50 — Not individually wrapped
- Popcorn chicken: 10 lbs. for $14 — Breaded and fully cooked
On the net: http://www.foodbankcny.org/our-programs/food-sense-program
Poop-to-power: Manure separator benefits dairy, generates clean energy
22nd annual Herb & Flower Festival June 16
Garden volunteers needed
Cinema hosts documentary, talk on farming
- 4:00pm 07/13/18Poop-to-power: Manure separator benefits dairy, generates clean energy
- 4:00pm 07/06/18Solid Waste Authority offers tips to ‘Green’ your summer
- 4:00pm 06/29/18Garden club hosts flower show, luncheon July 9
- 4:00pm 06/22/18Root Farm begins second year of Community Supported Agriculture
- 4:00pm 06/09/1822nd annual Herb & Flower Festival June 16
- 4:00pm 06/08/18Garden volunteers needed
- 4:00pm 06/08/18Yard of the Month contest in Sherrill
- 4:00pm 05/25/18Sign-up for June Food $en$e today
- 4:00pm 05/25/18Junior Dairy Leaders graduation slated
- 4:00pm 05/25/18DEC reminds campers to use local firewood