Jervis will host community garden
Jervis Public Library will continue a collaboration with Rome Clean and Green to provide a community garden on the library’s grounds.
In its fifth year, the library’s garden will feature square foot raised bed gardens with square footage per household determined by demand. Registration has started with planting to be conducted the late May and early June.
To sign up for a plot in the garden, call the library at 336-4570 or stop at the Information Desk.
Gardeners will choose from items directly sown and grown from seed including bush beans, lettuce, spinach, carrots, radishes, cucumbers, and peas. The patron is responsible for planting, weeding, and cultivating their harvests. Library staff will monitor and water the gardens as necessary.
Rome Clean and Green Executive Director Tanya Davis reports, “We want to get all ages involved in gardening throughout the city to make it fun, educational, and rewarding. Gardeners will see food produced and enjoy healthy eating as a result of their work. Jervis Library has been an enthusiastic partner, and we look forward to sharing success with them.”
“A community garden fits perfectly with the “Building a Better World” theme for the adult, teen and children’s Summer Reading program,” said Library Director Lisa Matte. “With 900-1,100 people through the door each day in the summer, we provide a captive audience to support this project. Gardeners will add ‘weed the garden space’ to their lists of things to do on their weekly trips to Jervis,” she added.
Master gardeners list classes
Recycling Day at Jervis May 24
Young gardeners receive national honors
Handmade Holidays workshop Nov. 11
- 4:00pm 05/23/17Food $en$e orders being taken at five sites
- 4:00pm 05/19/17Dining for a Cause ticket deadline May 31
- 4:00pm 05/19/17Master gardeners list classes
- 4:00pm 05/19/17Plant sale Saturday; children’s contest slated
- 4:00pm 05/19/17Plant sale in Sherrill
- 4:00pm 05/19/17Farmers’ Market each Tuesday
- 4:00pm 05/17/17Recycling Day at Jervis May 24
- 4:00pm 05/12/17Jervis will host community garden
- 4:00pm 05/05/17Holy Cross plant sale May 11-14
- 4:00pm 04/21/17Food $en$e open to everyone; orders being taken at five sites