Jervis will host community garden
Jervis Public Library will continue a collaboration with Rome Clean and Green to provide a community garden on the library’s grounds.
In its fifth year, the library’s garden will feature square foot raised bed gardens with square footage per household determined by demand. Registration has started with planting to be conducted the late May and early June.
To sign up for a plot in the garden, call the library at 336-4570 or stop at the Information Desk.
Gardeners will choose from items directly sown and grown from seed including bush beans, lettuce, spinach, carrots, radishes, cucumbers, and peas. The patron is responsible for planting, weeding, and cultivating their harvests. Library staff will monitor and water the gardens as necessary.
Rome Clean and Green Executive Director Tanya Davis reports, “We want to get all ages involved in gardening throughout the city to make it fun, educational, and rewarding. Gardeners will see food produced and enjoy healthy eating as a result of their work. Jervis Library has been an enthusiastic partner, and we look forward to sharing success with them.”
“A community garden fits perfectly with the “Building a Better World” theme for the adult, teen and children’s Summer Reading program,” said Library Director Lisa Matte. “With 900-1,100 people through the door each day in the summer, we provide a captive audience to support this project. Gardeners will add ‘weed the garden space’ to their lists of things to do on their weekly trips to Jervis,” she added.
Cinema hosts documentary, talk on farming
Tips for picking, preserving and even re-planting a Christmas tree
Gardeners of Rome honor contest winners
Siblings take top honors in Gardeners of Rome’s Big Pumpkin, Giant Sunflower contest
- 4:00pm 03/16/18Sign-up for April Food $en$e March 23
- 4:00pm 03/09/18Dairy producers meet March 14
- 4:00pm 03/02/18Inaugural Maple Fest in Speculator March 17
- 4:00pm 02/23/18Apply for Maple Foundation scholarship by March 15
- 4:00pm 02/16/18Sign-up for March Food $en$e Feb. 23
- 4:00pm 02/09/18Coop sets date for 22nd annual Herb & Flower Festival
- 4:00pm 02/02/18Cinema hosts documentary, talk on farming
- 4:00pm 01/26/18Library screens farm documentary
- 12:00pm 01/26/18Sign-up today for February Food $en$e
- 4:00pm 12/22/17Additional Food $en$e sign-up announced