Jervis will host community garden
Jervis Public Library will continue a collaboration with Rome Clean and Green to provide a community garden on the library’s grounds.
In its fifth year, the library’s garden will feature square foot raised bed gardens with square footage per household determined by demand. Registration has started with planting to be conducted the late May and early June.
To sign up for a plot in the garden, call the library at 336-4570 or stop at the Information Desk.
Gardeners will choose from items directly sown and grown from seed including bush beans, lettuce, spinach, carrots, radishes, cucumbers, and peas. The patron is responsible for planting, weeding, and cultivating their harvests. Library staff will monitor and water the gardens as necessary.
Rome Clean and Green Executive Director Tanya Davis reports, “We want to get all ages involved in gardening throughout the city to make it fun, educational, and rewarding. Gardeners will see food produced and enjoy healthy eating as a result of their work. Jervis Library has been an enthusiastic partner, and we look forward to sharing success with them.”
“A community garden fits perfectly with the “Building a Better World” theme for the adult, teen and children’s Summer Reading program,” said Library Director Lisa Matte. “With 900-1,100 people through the door each day in the summer, we provide a captive audience to support this project. Gardeners will add ‘weed the garden space’ to their lists of things to do on their weekly trips to Jervis,” she added.
Siblings take top honors in Gardeners of Rome’s Big Pumpkin, Giant Sunflower contest
Solid Waste Authority offers tips to ‘green’ your summer
Herb and Flower Festival Saturday
Master gardeners list classes
- 4:00pm 10/13/17Siblings take top honors in Gardeners of Rome’s Big Pumpkin, Giant Sunflower contest
- 4:00pm 09/22/17Agricultural education topic of banquet Oct. 4
- 4:00pm 09/22/17Sign-up for October Food $en$e
- 4:00pm 09/08/17Madison County Hop Fest Sept. 16
- 4:00pm 09/08/17Cornell Cooperative Extension offers QuickBooks for Farmers class
- 4:00pm 09/08/17Garden club tours historic site Wednesday
- 4:00pm 09/01/17Sign-up now for Hop Fest events
- 4:00pm 08/25/17Foothills Rural Community Ministry announces September hours
- 4:00pm 08/25/17Annual Garden Auction Monday
- 4:00pm 08/11/17Drought Atlas aims to help area farmers