Herb and Flower Festival Saturday
WHITESTOWN — Cornell Cooperative Extension Oneida County master gardener volunteers invite the public to attend the 21st annual Herb and Flower Festival on Saturday, June 17 from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
The entry donation of $4 augments development at the botanical gardens and master gardener volunteer program. Children under 12 are admitted free.
It’s at the Parker F. Scripture Botanical Gardens at the Oneida County Farm and Home Center, 121 Second St. There’s free parking at MetLife parking further up Second Street with free transportation to the festival.
- Wander at the Extension’s Parker F. Scripture Botanical Gardens
- Purchase one of the Herbal Ice Cream sandwiches from master gardener volunteers.
- Visit 40-plus vendors who fuel plant discoveries to enhance home landscapes.
- Enjoy lunch on the grounds and
- Sit in on one of eight classes that span from Roses and Secrets to Beautiful Blooms, Pollinator’s Helping our Plants, Cooking with Herbs and Vegetables, Planting for Monarchs, Health in Vegetable Selection, “Foodscaping” in your Landscape and more about the Green Menace: Emerald Ash Borer. (Class descriptions listed earlier at http://romesentinel.com/home/master-gardeners-list-classes/QBqqel!AFT7JoSBI0LhYAJeX6oemQ/)
- Stop at the Butterfly House to glimpse the newly installed Monarchs and Painted Ladies.
This annual event is sponsored by the master gardener volunteers of Cornell Cooperative Extension Oneida County.
A brochure with class descriptions and a list of vendors and map of their locations can be viewed and downloaded from http://www.cceoneida.com/assets/Agriculture-Files/Events/2017/HF-brochure-2017.pdf
For more information about the event, contact the Extension office at 315-736-3394.
Getting to Herb Fest
WHITESTOWN — The Farm & Home Center, scene of the Herb and Flower Festival from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday, is at 121 Second St. It’s on the south side of Judd Road (County 840) 0.3 mile east of Airport Road in the Town of Whitestown.
Free parking will be available at Metropolitan Life further up Second Street with free shuttle buses to take you to and from the festival. Handicapped parking will be available at the extension offices. There is a paved driveway aground the building by the vendors and the gardens.
From Rome, you can take either Route 233 to County Highway 840 (Sutliff Road), turn left at the traffic light and continue as Sutliff goes onto Judd Road, also County 840, crossing Airport Road and in 0.3 mile turn right onto Second Street, or take Route 69 towards Oriskany, turn right onto Airport Road west of Oriskany, turn left at the traffic light onto County 840 (Judd Road) and in 0.3 mile turn right onto Second Street.
From Westmoreland area, take Route 233 north, turn right taking County 840 across Airport Road and in 0.3 mile turn right onto Second Street,
From Utica, take Route 69 through Oriskany, turn left onto Airport Road, turn left at the traffic light onto County 840 and in 0.3 mile turn right onto Second Street.
From New Hartford area, take state Route 840, continue on County Highway 840. After the traffic light at Cider Street look for the Farm and Home Center and Second Street on the left (before but within sight of the Airport Road traffic light), then turn left onto Second Street.
Cinema hosts documentary, talk on farming
Tips for picking, preserving and even re-planting a Christmas tree
Gardeners of Rome honor contest winners
Siblings take top honors in Gardeners of Rome’s Big Pumpkin, Giant Sunflower contest
- 4:00pm 02/16/18Sign-up for March Food $en$e Feb. 23
- 4:00pm 02/09/18Coop sets date for 22nd annual Herb & Flower Festival
- 4:00pm 02/02/18Cinema hosts documentary, talk on farming
- 4:00pm 01/26/18Library screens farm documentary
- 12:00pm 01/26/18Sign-up today for February Food $en$e
- 4:00pm 12/22/17Additional Food $en$e sign-up announced
- 4:00pm 12/15/17Sign-up for January Food $en$e Dec. 22
- 4:00pm 12/01/17Tips for picking, preserving and even re-planting a Christmas tree
- 4:00pm 12/01/17Garden club hosts holiday gathering
- 4:00pm 11/17/17Food $en$e sign-ups today