Food $en$e sign-ups today
Registration for the December Food $en$e program — open to everyone regardless of income — will be held at United Methodist churches in Rome and Lee Center, the First Baptist Church in Rome, and the Presbyterian Church in Holland Patent.
Food $en$e is a discount food program provided by the Central New York Food Bank. Everyone is welcome to participate. There are no income guidelines so it doesn’t matter how much you earn. The $20.50 per unit cost is payable at the time of registration by cash or food stamps. Multiple units can be purchased. There are also extras which can be purchased with or without the basic unit. Signups are scheduled at:
• First United Methodist Church, 400 N. George St.: registration from noon to 2 p.m. today, Nov. 17, and from noon to 1 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 3. Registrations, for pickup at First United Methodist, will also be accepted from 10 a.m. to noon, Tuesdays and Thursdays, through Thursday, Dec. 7, in the First Baptist Church, 301 W. Embargo St. The food may be picked up Friday, Dec. 22, between noon and 2 p.m. in First United Methodist Church. Sign-ups for the following month will also be accepted when picking up food.
For information, call 315-336-1740.
• At the Lee Center United Methodist Church, 5531 Lee Center-Taberg Road, registration from 1 to 3 p.m. today, Nov. 17, and from 7-8 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 28. The food may be picked up Friday, Dec. 22, at the church.
For information, call Lee Center United Methodist Church at 315-336-0742 or 315-358-4150.
• Foothills Rural Community Ministry, Presbyterian Church, Holland Patent (across from the park just off Route 365). Registration is today from 12:30 and 2 p.m. or Saturday, Nov. 25, between 10 a.m. and noon. The food may be picked up between 12:30 and 2 p.m. Friday, Dec. 22 or between 10 a.m. and noon Saturday, Dec. 23. (Frozen foods will be kept in a freezer for the Saturday pickup).
The December package includes boneless pork chops, chicken tenders, breakfast sausage links, ground turkey, pancake mix, dozen fresh eggs, honey-nut cereal, hash browns, cinnamon raisin bagels, frozen strawberries, and two fresh produce items.
Specials, which may be purchased in addition to the package or separately, are:
- Spiral ham: 9 lbs. (avg.) for $19
- Stuffed chicken breasts: 2 lbs. for $6.50 — The chicken is stuffed with apples and cranberries.
- Shrimp: 2 lbs. for $11 — not breaded, 26-30 per pound.
- Pantry Box: $10 — The Pantry Box includes egg noodles (12 oz.), crushed tomatoes (28 oz.), mixed vegetables (15 oz.), orange juice (64 oz.), peanut butter (18 oz.), spaghetti rings (15 oz.), canned chicken (5 oz.), baking mix (32 oz.), macaroni & cheese (7.25 oz.), and applesauce (15 oz.).
- American cheese: 5 lbs. for $11.75 — Sliced, not individually wrapped.
- Meatballs (fully cooked): 5 lbs. for $12.50
- Scalloped potatoes: 4.5 lbs. for $10 (Stouffers’ product).
On the net: http://www.foodbankcny.org/our-programs/food-sense-program
Tips for picking, preserving and even re-planting a Christmas tree
Gardeners of Rome honor contest winners
Siblings take top honors in Gardeners of Rome’s Big Pumpkin, Giant Sunflower contest
Solid Waste Authority offers tips to ‘green’ your summer
- 4:00pm 12/01/17Tips for picking, preserving and even re-planting a Christmas tree
- 4:00pm 12/01/17Garden club hosts holiday gathering
- 4:00pm 11/17/17Food $en$e sign-ups today
- 4:00pm 11/10/17Don’t use plastic garbage bags, cardboard boxes for green waste
- 4:00pm 11/07/17Get raking — leaf collection to start Nov. 13 in city
- 4:00pm 10/27/17Gardeners of Rome honor contest winners
- 4:00pm 10/27/17Sign-up for November Food $en$e
- 4:00pm 10/13/17Siblings take top honors in Gardeners of Rome’s Big Pumpkin, Giant Sunflower contest
- 4:00pm 09/22/17Agricultural education topic of banquet Oct. 4
- 4:00pm 09/22/17Sign-up for October Food $en$e