Agencies to let farmers know what help is available
MEXICO — The 4th annual Ag Agency Awareness Day will be held on Wednesday, March 8, from 11 a.m.- 2:30 p.m. in the Mexico VFW, 5930 Scenic Ave.
Cornell Cooperative Extension of Oswego County in collaboration with Oswego County Soil and Water, Natural Resources Conservation Service, and the United State Department of Agriculture Farm Service Agency will again be sponsoring this workshop for agriculture producers.
Production Agriculture, or what we sometimes refer to as traditional agriculture, has come a long way since the days of horse drawn plows and hand labor. Improvements in technology and cutting edge research have allowed farmers to produce more food and fiber products on smaller acreages while still maintaining the tranquility of the rural landscape. With these improvements in production technologies come challenges that farmers need to address that affect the successful management of their farms.
The day is designed for both beginning and experienced farmers who are looking for information on how to improve or expand their agriculture businesses. Federal and NYS programs will be discussed including some cost share programs. The goal is to improve the awareness of agriculture agencies that are available to address the challenges faces by agricultural producers in Oswego County.
There is no cost to attend, but registration for lunch is needed by 4 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 27, by calling CCE of Oswego County at 315-963-7286.
For more information go online to www.thatscooperativeextension.org.
Cinema hosts documentary, talk on farming
Tips for picking, preserving and even re-planting a Christmas tree
Gardeners of Rome honor contest winners
Siblings take top honors in Gardeners of Rome’s Big Pumpkin, Giant Sunflower contest
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Cornell University reminds residents to think globally, plant locally
- 4:00pm 04/20/18Sign-up for May Food $en$e
- 4:00pm 04/13/18Bonsai workshop Sunday
- 4:00pm 04/13/18Green waste pickup Monday
- 4:00pm 04/12/18Facebook for Farmers workshop April 17
- 4:00pm 04/10/18Green waste pickup to begin Monday for inside district
- 4:00pm 04/06/18Credit union offers home buyers’ workshop
- 4:00pm 03/23/18Gardeners group meets Monday
- 4:00pm 03/16/18Sign-up for April Food $en$e March 23
- 4:00pm 03/09/18Dairy producers meet March 14