Dr. Nicholas Qandah
Support group hosts neurosurgeon
Neurosurgeon Dr. Nicholas Qandah, of Central New York Brain & Spine Neurosurgery, will be the guest speaker at the Monday, Sept. 10 meeting of the Joe Niekro Foundation Brain Aneurysm, AVM (arteriovenous malformation), Stroke, TBI (traumatic brain injury) support group.
Qandah, medical director of neurosciences at Rome Memorial Hospital, will speak to the group about the role he plays in the treatment of these disorders. The meeting will be held from 5:30-7:30 p.m. in the second floor classroom at Rome Memorial Hospital, 1500 N. James St.
“We are thrilled to have Dr. Qandah at our September meeting because September has been recognized by the New York State Legislature as Brain Aneurysm Awareness month,” said Deborah Dunn, survivor of a ruptured brain aneurysm and facilitator of the group. “This is a wonderful opportunity for us to get to know him and learn about his role in the treatment of brain trauma. Our group is grateful that he is here in our community.”
According to the Brain Aneurysm Foundation, an estimated 6 million people in the United States have an unruptured brain aneurysm, or 1 in 50 people. Each year, about 30,000 people in the United States suffer a brain aneurysm rupture. There is a brain aneurysm rupturing every 18 minutes. Ruptured brain aneurysms are fatal in about 40 percent of cases. Of those who survive, about 66 percent suffer some permanent neurological deficit.
The support group meets regularly on the second Monday of each month from 5:30-7:30 p.m. in the hospital classroom. The meetings are open to all who are affected by any traumatic brain injury, their loved ones and caregivers. The group offers support and encouragement and a chance to share experiences.
For more information, contact Dunn at 315-533-6467 or email at RomeNY@JoeNiekroFoundation.org.
Washington Mills MVHS adds nurse practitioner
Medical group welcomes new primary care providers
Celebrating 50 years
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Celebrating 50 years
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Center offers trip to Lake George
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Golden anniversary
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Ladies club gathers Friday
- 4:00pm 09/25/18Cox family gathers in Verona
- 4:00pm 09/24/18New doctor at Costello Eye Physicians
- 4:00pm 09/24/18September is Peripheral Arterial Disease Awareness Month
- 4:00pm 09/24/18Take action to protect your health
- 4:00pm 09/24/18Washington Mills MVHS adds nurse practitioner
- 4:00pm 09/24/18Take Steps Walk Sunday in Utica