Red Cross notes opportunities to donate blood this holiday season
The American Red Cross is encouraging the public to donate blood or platelets this holiday season.
The organization noted that there is a yearly decline in donations between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day, when donors are busy celebrating and traveling. “However,” the Red Cross said in a statement, “medical treatments and emergencies that require blood don’t stop for the holidays.”
Donors who give between Nov. 21 and Nov. 24, said the Red Cross, will receive a long sleeve T-shirt while supplies last.
“Patients like 6-year-old Ava King will continue to need transfusions critical to their care this holiday season,” the organization said. “Ava has Diamond-Blackfan anemia, which impacts her body’s ability to produce enough red blood cells.”
“By giving blood and platelets, donors may give patients more time — and more holidays — with loved ones,” the Red Cross concluded.
To donate, visit the permanent Utica Blood Donation Center at 4685 Commercial Drive, New Hartford. The center is open from 11:30 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays, as well as 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and weekends.
The schedule of upcoming area blood drives is as follows:
- Rome — Tuesday, Nov. 20 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Rome Memorial Hospital, 1500 N. James St; Friday, Nov. 23 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church, 502 W. Chestnut St.; Thursday, Nov. 29 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Mohawk Valley Community College, 1101 Floyd Ave.
- Barneveld — Friday, Nov. 16 from 1 to 6 p.m. at Town of Trenton Municipal Center, 8520 Old Poland Road.
- Herkimer — Monday, Nov. 19 from 1:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at First United Methodist Church, 127 Prospect St.
- Ilion — Wednesday, Nov. 21 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Cedarville Fire Department, 960 State Route 51; Saturday, Nov. 24 from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Municipal Building, 49 Morgan Street.
- New Hartford — Friday, Nov. 16 from 11:30 .m. to 4:30 p.m. at New Hartford Public Library 2 Library Lane; Tuesday, Nov. 20 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Presbyterian Home, 4290 Middle Settlement Road.
- Sherrill — Tuesday, Nov. 20 from 12:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., American Legion Post 230, 168 East Seneca St.
- Vernon — Friday, Nov. 30 from 2:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Sconondoa Sherrill Masonic Lodge, 5211 W. Seneca St.
Nonsurgical treatment for chronic back pain available at RMH
Chestnut Commons Physical, Occupational Therapy welcomes spine specialist
View offers holiday stained glass, glass fusing classes
View hosts Christmas on Main Street event Nov. 23-24
- 4:00pm 11/14/18View offers holiday stained glass, glass fusing classes
- 4:00pm 11/14/18View hosts Christmas on Main Street event Nov. 23-24
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Upcoming events at MWPAI include quartet concert, Victorian Yuletide
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Clinton Historical Society open house Nov. 23
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Unity Hall hosts The Merry Pranksters Friday
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Sign-up for Vermont trip
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Ginsburg to speak at Glimmerglass
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Gallery hosts ‘Doubly Mad’ reading Friday
- 4:00pm 11/13/18Political event Saturday at Utica library
- 4:00pm 11/13/18"Overloard" is the nightmare after Halloween that makes dreams come true