Battling Suicide and Depression meeting tonight
The Utica Municipal Housing Authority will sponsor a free workshop open to the public on Battling Suicide and Depression at 6 tonight at the Utica Public Library, 303 Genesee St.
Parking is in the rear of the building off of Park Street. Refreshments will be served. The speakers will be Kathy J Peters of the Oneida County Suicide Coalition, John Enders of the Utica Municipal Housing Authority and Willijah Dawson of the Bee Rose Foundation. Information will be presented on signs and symptoms, risk factors, and community resources for helping people in emotional pain. Major depression affects more than 16 million of American adults each year. Depression causes people to lose pleasure from daily life, can complicate other medical conditions, and can even be serious enough to lead to suicide.
Depression can occur to anyone, at any age, and to people of any race or ethnic group. Depression is never a “normal” part of life, no matter what your age, gender or health situation. Suicide is the 12th leading cause of death overall in New York. On average, one person dies by suicide every five hours in the state.
For more information, call 315-735-5246, extension 25 or 34, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The event can be found on Facebook at www.facebook.com/UticaMHA.
For more information on the Bee Rose Foundation, visit www.gofundme.com/bee-rose-foundation or youtu.be/ZhK54Kg1X6s.
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255.
Medical group welcomes new primary care providers
Spine specialist featured during Health Night program at MVCC
Oneida Community Mansion House offers free admission Saturday
Glass art classes start this week at View
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Oneida Community Mansion House offers free admission Saturday
- 4:00pm 09/19/18‘A People’s History of Utica’ Sept. 26
- 4:00pm 09/19/18‘Books and Bordeaux’ event Friday
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Glass art classes start this week at View
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Poetry workshop Thursday
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Poetry reading, workshop Sept. 27
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Underground Railroad topic of lecture Sept. 26
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Historical society hosts author Sandra Salm
- 4:00pm 09/18/18Lecture at MVCC rescheduled
- 4:00pm 09/18/18Celebrating 50 years