Watercolors exhibit on view in Kallet
ONEIDA — The Kallet Civic Center, 159 Main St., is hosting a watercolor exhibit by Jana Kolowrat Laxa through the second week in May. The free exhibit is in the Kallet’s Griffing Gallery and is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. until 2 pm.
Laxa emigrated from Czechoslovakia, now the Czech Republic, and settled with her family in Massachusetts. She began her painting career by decorating plaster replicas of gingerbread for her family’s business.
Laxa later learned the European style of reverse-glass painting using acrylic paints. She received a fine arts degree in painting from Syracuse University in 2003 and soon afterwards began using watercolors with the goal of illustrating her mother’s children’s stories.
The Kallet is hosting a free reception for Laxa on Friday, April 21 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Magnarelli, Tsuruga in ArtHouse Saturday
Drama set in Britain in 1940
- 4:00pm 05/19/17Magnarelli, Tsuruga in ArtHouse Saturday
- 4:00pm 05/19/17Sherrill Farmers’ Market Tuesdays
- 4:00pm 05/18/17Pre-Boilermaker show ticket sales due
- 4:00pm 05/18/17Festival Saturday features 10 bands honoring Al Nathan
- 4:00pm 05/18/17Free B Sharp concert in Utica May 21
- 4:00pm 05/18/17Magnarelli/Tsuruga Quartet at CNY Jazz Sunday
- 4:00pm 05/18/17Shakespeare play director sought
- 4:00pm 05/18/17Glimmerglass picks Owens as artistic adviser
- 4:00pm 05/18/17Area happenings
- 4:00pm 05/17/17Open Mic session Thursday