Denzel Washington and Viola Davis in ‘FENCES’
Washington directs, stars in ‘Fences’
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., presents the drama “Fences” from Jan. 6-12.
Denzel Washington directed and stars in this adaptation of August Wilson’s 1983 Pulitzer Prize-winning play of the same title, in which Troy Maxson (Denzel Washington) makes his living as a sanitation worker in 1950s Pittsburgh. Maxson once dreamed of becoming a professional baseball player, but was deemed too old when the major leagues began admitting black athletes.
Bitter over his missed opportunity, Troy creates further tension in his family when he squashes his son’s (Jovan Adepo) chance to meet a college football recruiter.
The film also stars Viola Davis, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Russell Hornsby, Mykelti Williamson, and Saniyya Sidney.
Acclaimed by film critics, “Fences” has received and has been nominated for numerous awards. The film was nominated for Golden Globe awards in the categories of “Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture Drama” and “Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture.”
“Fences” has already been awarded “Movie of the Year” from the 2017 AFI Awards and “Best Supporting Actress” (Viola Davis) by the Detroit Film Critic Society.
“‘Fences’ is an actors’ showcase above all else, and all of the talent on display is exemplary,” writes The Young Folks.
The Tri-City Herald writes of its stars that “Washington has never been better. Davis is so good she could play a -- no pun intended -- fence post and get award nominations.”
“Fences” runs 133 minutes and is rated PG-13 (for thematic elements, language and some suggestive references).
Admission is $7, $5 for Capitol Friends and students. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and on-line at www.romecapitol.com.
“Fences” runs every day from Jan. 6-12. Show times are Friday and Saturday at 3:45 and 7:15 p.m., Sunday at 12:45 and 3:45 p.m. and Monday-Thursday at 7:15 p.m.
The Friday 3:45 and Sunday 12:45 show times include captions for the hearing-impaired.
Acclaimed teen pianist performs Sunday at Colgate
Andrew Collins Trio performs Saturday
- 4:00pm 02/15/18Acclaimed teen pianist performs Sunday at Colgate
- 4:00pm 02/15/18Andrew Collins Trio performs Saturday
- 4:00pm 02/15/18Cinema screens Daniel Day-Lewis’ likely final film
- 4:00pm 02/15/18Irish music session Tuesday
- 4:00pm 02/15/18Cartoon Madness returns to Capitol Theatre
- 4:00pm 02/15/18Camden coffee house hosts Elvis impersonator Saturday
- 4:00pm 02/15/18Chicken BBQ aids snowmobile club
- 4:00pm 02/15/18Cinema offers Oscar nominated short films
- 4:00pm 02/15/18Cinematic shadow puppet show Saturday at Hamilton College
- 4:00pm 02/15/18Bluegrass jam Saturday