Denzel Washington and Viola Davis in ‘FENCES’
Washington directs, stars in ‘Fences’
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., presents the drama “Fences” from Jan. 6-12.
Denzel Washington directed and stars in this adaptation of August Wilson’s 1983 Pulitzer Prize-winning play of the same title, in which Troy Maxson (Denzel Washington) makes his living as a sanitation worker in 1950s Pittsburgh. Maxson once dreamed of becoming a professional baseball player, but was deemed too old when the major leagues began admitting black athletes.
Bitter over his missed opportunity, Troy creates further tension in his family when he squashes his son’s (Jovan Adepo) chance to meet a college football recruiter.
The film also stars Viola Davis, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Russell Hornsby, Mykelti Williamson, and Saniyya Sidney.
Acclaimed by film critics, “Fences” has received and has been nominated for numerous awards. The film was nominated for Golden Globe awards in the categories of “Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture Drama” and “Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture.”
“Fences” has already been awarded “Movie of the Year” from the 2017 AFI Awards and “Best Supporting Actress” (Viola Davis) by the Detroit Film Critic Society.
“‘Fences’ is an actors’ showcase above all else, and all of the talent on display is exemplary,” writes The Young Folks.
The Tri-City Herald writes of its stars that “Washington has never been better. Davis is so good she could play a -- no pun intended -- fence post and get award nominations.”
“Fences” runs 133 minutes and is rated PG-13 (for thematic elements, language and some suggestive references).
Admission is $7, $5 for Capitol Friends and students. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and on-line at www.romecapitol.com.
“Fences” runs every day from Jan. 6-12. Show times are Friday and Saturday at 3:45 and 7:15 p.m., Sunday at 12:45 and 3:45 p.m. and Monday-Thursday at 7:15 p.m.
The Friday 3:45 and Sunday 12:45 show times include captions for the hearing-impaired.
Alliance Classical Players announce summer concerts
Film documents the work of Pope Francis
- 4:00pm 06/15/18RCT Talent Team presents a Night of One Acts Saturday
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Alliance Classical Players announce summer concerts
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Cinema Capitol celebrates Pride Month with ‘The Misandrists’
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Film documents the work of Pope Francis
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Country gospel concert Saturday
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Constable Hall hosts annual Arts & Craft Show, Car Cruise-In June 17
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Irish music session Tuesday
- 4:00pm 06/14/18April Verch Band performs Friday at View
- 4:00pm 06/14/18Cinema continues Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki series
- 4:00pm 06/14/18‘Perry Pareé’ on stage Friday, Saturday in Hamilton