Van Gogh biopic first painted feature film
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., will present the biographical animated drama “Loving Vincent” from Friday through Thursday, Dec. 14.
“Loving Vincent” is the world’s first fully-painted feature film. To complete the feature, 80 classically-trained artists painted 65,000 frames in oil paint on canvas, using the same technique as van Gogh. If placed side by side, the paintings would cover the area of London, in addition to the entire Island of Manhattan.
Set in France in 1891, one year after the death of van Gogh, a postman is tasked with delivering van Gogh’s last letter to his brother. While there, however, the young messenger ends up investigating van Gogh’s final days, as well as his unusual death. The movie’s actors are also depicted in oil paint and include Saoirse Ronan, Douglass Booth, Jerome Flynn, Helen McCrory and Chris O’Dowd.
The movie has been highly acclaimed by audiences and critics alike. The movie was awarded an “Audience Award” at the 2017 Annecy International Animated Film Festival, placed in the “Top Ten Independent Films” for 2017 by the National Board of Review, USA, and won “Best Animation Film” at the 2017 Shanghi International Film Festival.
The Seattle Times describes the film as “almost too beautiful for its own good.” The Washington Post writes “Visually, it’s spectacular. Conceptually, it’s jaw-dropping to simply considering the effort that went into this.”
The film runs 94 minutes and is rated PG-13 (for mature thematic elements, some violence, sexual material, and smoking). Admission is $7, $6 for students and military and $5 for Capitol Friends. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the Capitol Theatre box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com. The movie will be shown from Friday through Thursday, Dec. 14. Show times are Friday and Saturday at 4:15 and 7:15, Sunday at 1:15 and 4:15, and Monday-Thursday at 7:15. There will be no captioned show times for this movie.
Cinema Capitol presents 1984 film ‘Gremlins’
‘Stroll Through the Center’ Christmas music event at RACC
- 4:00pm 12/15/17Cinema Capitol presents 1984 film ‘Gremlins’
- 4:00pm 12/14/17‘Stroll Through the Center’ Christmas music event at RACC
- 4:00pm 12/14/17Critically acclaimed ‘Lady Bird’ at Cinema Capitol starting Friday
- 4:00pm 12/14/17Theater’s holiday tradition continues with ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’
- 4:00pm 12/14/17Out After Midnite offers Norwegian drama
- 4:00pm 12/14/17Cinema screens drama ‘Let There Be Light’
- 4:00pm 12/14/17Bluegrass jam Saturday
- 4:00pm 12/14/17America concert tickets on sale now
- 4:00pm 12/14/17Breakfast with Santa Sunday
- 4:00pm 12/14/17Irish music in Oriskany