Utica College presents musical ‘Cabaret’ starting tonight
UTICA — This weekend, the Utica College theatre program will pull the curtains for the musical “Cabaret.” Performances, which are intended for mature audiences, are set for Nov. 8, 9, and 10 at 7:30 p.m., and Nov. 11 at 2 p.m. in the Strebel Student Center Auditorium.
“Cabaret” follows the story of a group of struggling fringe artists surrounding the cabaret scene in Berlin, just before World War II and the impact of the rise of fascism.
The musical will be presented using the script from the 1998 Broadway revival and while most of the music will remain the same as the movie version, the plot will be moderately different. Rather than following the concept of the original Broadway production that blended 1920s aesthetic with that of the 1960s, UC’s version of Cabaret will blend 1920s aesthetic with that of today.
Laura Salvaggio, theatre director, chose this production because of the similarities she sees in the political climate within the musical and the current political climate in the U.S.
“Weinmar Germany contained a very progressive group of people between the world wars, and the parallels between that society and our own current U.S. political climate are interesting,” Salvaggio said. “Next semester our department will offer a class called “Theater for Social Justice” and this show also provides a nice lead into that curriculum.”
Sally, the lead, is being played by current UC student Nicole Collette. Additionally, students Cormac McCambridge, Conner Supensky, Crystal Hayner, Annjulie Martinez, Tim Kurucz, Lauren Impicciatore, and Madealyn Frankovic hold some of the other featured roles.
Tickets are $15, $10 for students, and will be available at the door.
Upcoming events at MWPAI include quartet concert, Victorian Yuletide
Reggae and soul at Hamilton’s Palace
- 4:00pm 11/14/18Upcoming events at MWPAI include quartet concert, Victorian Yuletide
- 4:00pm 11/13/18"Overloard" is the nightmare after Halloween that makes dreams come true
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Reggae and soul at Hamilton’s Palace
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Piccininni, Delaney perform Saturday
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Kiwanis craft fair this weekend
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Film depicts later years of writer Oscar Wilde
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Veterans Day dinner Sunday
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Phoenix and Reilly star in Western
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Air Force Heritage of America band plays Monday
- 4:00pm 11/08/18Baskets Galore event aids Holy Cross Academy