Theater’s holiday tradition continues with ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’
Rome’s Capitol Theatre, 220 W. Dominick St., will present screenings of the 1946 Frank Capra-directed movie, “It’s a Wonderful Life,” at 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 15 and at 2:30 and 7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 16.
The Capitol Theatre is a 1,788 seat “movie palace,” built in 1928. “It’s A Wonderful Life” was first shown in the theater Feb. 27 through March 1, 1947.
The movie concerns a small-town man (James Stewart) who considers himself a failure when finds his life collapsing around him. He is visited by his guardian angel (Henry Travers) who shows him what the world would have been like if he had never been born.
Others in the cast include Donna Reed, Lionel Barrymore, Thomas Mitchell, Beulah Bondi, and Ward Bond. The black and white movie runs 129 minutes and will be shown in a restored 35mm film print from the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C.
Initially a box-office failure, “It’s A Wonderful Life,” has since come to be regarded by several film critics and historians as one of a handful of true holiday-season classics.
Admission is $6.50, $5.50 for seniors and students, $4.50 for Capitol members, and $2.50 for children age 12 and under.
MVCC to present Emmy Award winning actor ‘One Love: An Evening with John Leguizamo’ Sept. 29
‘Dirty Rotten Scoundrels’ starts RCT season
- 4:00pm 09/20/18MVCC to present Emmy Award winning actor ‘One Love: An Evening with John Leguizamo’ Sept. 29
- 4:00pm 09/20/18‘Dirty Rotten Scoundrels’ starts RCT season
- 4:00pm 09/20/18‘Dogumentary’ follows quest of puppy litter
- 4:00pm 09/20/18Jankiewicz performs Sunday
- 4:00pm 09/20/18CNY Royalty and Rogues Festival comes to Stittville
- 4:00pm 09/20/18Capitol screens ‘Bad Reputation’ Wednesday
- 4:00pm 09/20/18Film ‘Bel Canto’ features voice of singer Renée Fleming
- 4:00pm 09/20/18Peter, Paul and George perform Saturday in Oneida
- 4:00pm 09/20/18Opera ‘The Falling and the Rising’ Sunday at View
- 4:00pm 09/20/18Kallet hosts Makin’ Bacon Festival festival Sept. 29