Story of McDonald’s rise on screen
Cinema Capitol, 230 W. Dominick St., presents the biographical drama “The Founder” from Feb.17-March 2.
Directed by John Lee Hancock, “The Founder” is the story of Ray Kroc (Michael Keaton), a milkshake machine salesman who turned two brothers’ (Nick Offerman and John Carroll Lynch) innovative fast food eatery, McDonald’s, into one of the biggest restaurant businesses in the world.
Kroc, impressed by the brothers’ speedy system of making the food, sees dollar signs where the brothers do not. Writer Robert Siegel details how Kroc maneuvered himself into a position to be able to pull the company from the brothers and create a billion-dollar empire.
The film also stars Laura Dern, Patrick Wilson, B.J. Novak, and Ric Reitz.
“The Founder” was nominated for three awards, “Best Time Capsule,” “Best Actor (for Michael Keaton),” and “Best Buddy Picture (for John Carroll Lynch and Nick Offerman),” at the 2017 AARP Annual Movies for Grownups Awards.
Globe and Mail writes of the movie’s acting that “it contains one of the finest Keaton performances of his entire career, maybe the one he’s been working his whole life toward.”
The New York Observer writes that “The Founder” is “One of the must-see entertainments of the year.”
“The Founder” runs 115 minutes and is rated PG-13 (for brief strong language).
Admission is $7, $5 for Capitol Friends and students. Tickets are available at the door and in advance from the theater box office (315-337-6453) and online at www.romecapitol.com.
“The Founder” runs daily from Feb. 17-March 2. Shows are Friday and Saturday at 3:45 and 7:15 p.m., Sunday at 12:45 and 3:45 p.m., and Monday-Thursday at 7:15 p.m.
The Friday at 3:45 and Sunday at 12:45 show times include captions for the hearing-impaired.
Oscar-nominated shorts have limited shows
Documentary explores lives of civil rights activists
- 4:00pm 02/23/17Oscar-nominated shorts have limited shows
- 4:00pm 02/23/17Documentary explores lives of civil rights activists
- 4:00pm 02/23/17Minetti String Quartet featured Sunday in Chamber Music concert
- 4:00pm 02/23/17Pianist performs free concert March 1
- 4:00pm 02/23/17Orleans tickets on sale Friday
- 4:00pm 02/23/17Area happenings
- 4:00pm 02/23/17Memories and reflections for violin and piano Saturday
- 4:00pm 02/23/17Three masterpieces in Colgate performance
- 4:00pm 02/22/1740 Years of Harmony concert rehearsals start Sunday
- 4:00pm 02/17/17Stanley Theatre to host fine dining event April 2